Quote:

Quote:

Ya but it's a Hemi. I know it may sound superficial and I have a hard running 383 in it now that probably puts out close to those numbers but have always wanted a Hemi and can't afford a 426.

I hear ya. Thats what i'd like to see in my Challenger too. But it aint gonna happen.

What i'm going to tell you though is that if you cant afford a 426 hemi, then you absolutely CANNOT afford a 392/354 hemi. No way no how. Not even close. IF by the time you get that sucker built, even just a typical performance rebuild, AND bolted in/hooked up to your 66 B, if you are not already spending a full 426 hemi budget, then you will be very very close. There are a LOT ov little things that will snag you. EVERYTHING is available, and nothing is impossible with these engines... BUT YOU WILL PAY.

Trust me. Before you drop 2.5K on that whale, understand that you could buy the elephant instead. By the time its running and driving, you'll still be 10K in. Understand that at least with the 426, you can save a LOT ov money with swap meet headers, intakes, aftermarket parts . Plus a lot ov the 426 hemi stuff is also plain jane 440 stuff. EVERYTHING you need came from the factory... (read: there were no 392 hemi's in 66 Coronets)

It sounds like a deal... but unless its already rebuilt, running, and STOOOPID-cheap, AND someone else already spent the coin (lots ov coin...) to mate a modern transmission to it... pass and save for the 426. Unless you absolutely HAVE to have something weird and screwy, let the 3-window crowd have it. Maybe buy it and trade up for 426 parts?

Really?? What's the difference if you buy new ceramic headers, aluminum intake, pistons, etc. for a 426 or 392? They both are ALOT. I think the savings comes from the purchase price of the engine. When is the last time you saw a 426 for $2K? You can have a nostalgic 392 putting 425HP for $8K, not a 426.

The difference is what you install it into. I agree totally that the early Hemis BELONG in a pre-64 car/truck, which is exactly what I am building now- a 392 Hemi for a 1947 Plymouth coupe. I am SOOOO tired of looking at 350/350 powered street rods I could puke and the WOW factor when you pop the hood is there ... my

'70 Cuda "Badfish 2"- in the works

Home of MoPar University- We school 'em one at a time!!