Hi everybody, here is my current situation,

I recently replaced my 318 2bbl motor and transmission in my 1970 Dodge D100 pickup with a 1966 383/727 out of a 1966 newport. The motor is original and has very low miles, checked the bearings and they all looked brand new. My friend that's an engine machinist even saw them and the rest of the inside of the motor and recommended to not rebuild it, essentially being a waste of money to do so since it looked great. I installed it and it runs great, no smoke or anything. My problem seems to be that it just does not have any power. I feel my 318 2bbl had more power than this engine. The only modifications from stock are I am running Chrysler electronic ignition with an orange box, and a Weiand Part #8007 dual plane 4bbl manifold. I am running an almost brand new Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm electric choke carb. I have the timing dialed in at 8 degrees initial, any more than that and it will ping under WOT. It just seem to be a real dog of an engine and I am wondering if there is anything I can do short of putting a 440 in it to get the power I was expecting out of a big block. I have had stock 383 even 361 engines that had more power than this. Any help or ideas is greatly apreciated. Thank you.

1965 Plymouth Belvedere II hardtop