Sorry is this post isn't more congenial, my computer crashed and I lost my first in depth reply. I'll try again.

I know there are well respected members here who fervently promote K member welding reinforcement.

I am nor suggesting one bit that this causes any harm.

I am having a tough time getting on this bandwagon.

Hey somebody has to ask the tough questions.

So for years we have read seen 1/4's cut/notch/etc their factory k members to gain clearance for oil pans/etc. One would think that if simple welding to a k gave noticeable positive results, one would think that significant cutting to a k would at least inspire negative comments in handling. I know we are not comparing apples to apples, but i have never heard a drag racer say his car handles worse after chopping up his K member.

Additionally, there are a number of after market k members, that IMO are much less stiff then the OEM K member. The after markets TB/K's with tubing are lighter and provide bragging rights, but I have yet to see one stiffer then OEM. Do we hear a degrading in handing with them? We are not talking Alterk since with coils the loading is much different.

Another beauty of the mopar K, is the heaviest object in the car is connected directly over the load path to the lca sprung suspension point, a very stiff design.

My question here is not with the results noticed, its the analysis of what actually caused the results.

I will/have welded my K's when the situation presents itself, since I weld and the only real downside is dirty welds, and warpage from rushing the weld.

I don't know what forces the additional welding is resisting, and that a better more effective solution might be a "shock tower" brace.

I have never heard of the OEM K member spot welds failing from long term use, which kinda indicates to me they are not highly stressed in the first place, and addition welding may not offer much. I believe any weld that is flexed, will over time, eventually start to fail.

It might be most useful if one looks at the above opinion in its entirety, rather then focus on one specific point.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.