Quote:

I am using a Stage 5 open plenum intake with 2 750 vacume secondary square bowl Hollys on a 540 c.i. Hemi with a street roller (248i, 254e). A short drive with the carbs connected in sequence, (both carbs open together), produced an almost uncontrollable situation. Just a small amount of throttle puts the car sideways! I am thinking about using a progressive linkage that would open the rear carb first and bring the front carb in at approximately half throttle, more like factory HEMI linkage. My qestion is: would I risk a poor mixture distribution problem, (lean condition) by doing this? I intend to do a lot of street driving and cruising with the car and the violent drivability is a concern.

You built a monster of an engine , what did you expect ? Put smaller carbs on it, or change the intake.

Take a close look at the design of the stage 5 it's to small single plane intakes with a small passage between the 2 intakes , trying to run the carbs progressively is a bad idea with the design of the intake.

What kind of tires do you have on the car and what gear in the rear?