No it was park, and a search on yahoo resulting in several topics mentioning the same thing.

Here is one such, with the advice to do this given by a Chrysler tech...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435310

Quote:

I got some info from a chrysler service tech, He agreed that it sounds like a sticking governor valve. He said to take the truck up to about 30 mph and put it in PARK for a few seconds while in motion then back to drive. since the governor is bolted to the parking gear this will be the same as tapping on it.
Sounds crazy but it worked!! Hopefully the crud will get washed into the filter.
I think I'll put a side stream filtration sytem in.

A few more:

Quote:

Done it a hundred times.. LOL not something I would tell some to do that is for sure..but it prove the point.. need to take the gov apart and clean and polish the pistons and bores..when you put it in park like that the parking pawl ratted the gov and shake it loose.

hey it a mopar trans..it can take it... just don't do it to a chevy trans LOL

Quote:

I was informed by some transmission buliders that I can go 55 mph and try to jam the car into park for a second, then back down into gear to unstick governor. Supposedly the ratcheting of the parking pawl dislodges dirt from the governor. I don't think this is correct. Any help?

I was very skeptical back in 88 when I first did this, and was sweating bullets as I was just about to do the procedure. But a short one second(ish) shift to park, some rattling of the parking pawl, and the transmission never gave me any other trouble.

Last night I was to the point of "I don't care" with the RC, as this is now the umpteenth time it has left, or nearly left, me stranded and/or had to be limped, or towed home.

In my original post I said "a few seconds" in actuality is was closer to one, or less.

As to ripping the pawl out, I cant say since I have never had an issue with a failed PARK gear. And this is after severely abusing a 74 Fury over several years, and "Racing" in park.

To "Race" in park, a pair of cars line up at one edge of an empty parking lot, both cars accelerate to 20mph, then on the signal shift into park, holding the gear until the car actually engages into park, and skids to a stop. The car that locks up first is the loser. My 74 Fury and I were never beaten. And I never had a single transmission issue with that car. After all the racing in park, and first gear smokey burnouts, forced down shifts to first to make the tires chirp...

Stupid, yes, but when you are 18, have a $300 car, and cant afford to go fast, you find something else to win at.

That said, I don't make a habit of this now. I am older and wiser, but sometimes the really off the wall tip or trick does prove to be valid.

On a more serious note, if this was a stuck governor weight, rather than the 2-3 valve in valve body, is the governor serviceable with the transmission installed? And can it be inspected by a reputable shop? Do I need to have it looked at, or just let it be unless there are more issues.

My issue last night happened after about 30 miles of interstate travel, and then the no shift was after I had stopped, and turned from the off ramp.

Join the Penguin Liberation Front!!
Stop the Hippo Occupation!