Got a non lock up A-518 and am trying to decide wich atf to run, i wanted to run atf+4 originally but the guy who re-built my transmission told me that atf+4 has alot of friction modifyers that my transmission does not need because i have no converter clutch.
I have always been told that type f is the best atf to run in a torque flight, my old man ran type f in the 727 in his 70 plymouth cuda 440-6 pak car and in his 77 dodge truck and had great results, he always told me that you want a firm shift not a sloppy shift.
I realize the A-518 has an overdrive unit so it is not exactly the same as a 727 but they are very simliar, is there any reason type f would perform any different in a non lock up A-518 as it does in the 727?
I was considering the valvoline max life atf, but the owner of the transmission shop who re-built my transmission told me to stay away from synthetics and type f, in fact he said anyone who runs type f in a torque flight is an idiot... wich i had to strongly disagree, my old man ran type f in them and he was the smartest mopar guy i knew, unfortunetly he has passed away so i can not ask him bout running type f in the non lock up A-518. The owner of the transmission shop told me to run ether dexronIII or atf+3 or a non synthetic universal fluid, wich is what i think they put in my transmission.
So what fluid do i use? i have a good sized transmission fluid cooler mounted on outside of my raditor and i plan on getting a transgo shift kit installed, with that being said should i run dexronIII, type f. or valvoline max life even tho max life is a synthetic and my builder told me not to use a synthetic atf? i dont know why he said no to synthetics he didnt explain himself on that he just said no synthetics no type f no +4 and said if you can still find +3 you can use that, if not put a non synthetic universal fluid in it or dexronIII and call it good.
He told me to flush all the fluid out and change the filter and fill up with new fluid after 1000 miles, i am currently at 600 sum miles, so its coming up and i need to pick a fluid to run, thanks