This morning I wanted to pose a question about the type of brakes that may have been used on the Daytona car.

There are references in various articles about the car using disc brakes all around, on the front only and drum brakes. In addition, an article on the rally car mentions disc brakes being fitted to the front end from the police package. Lastly there is an SAE bulletin on racing brake development at Chrysler that says when discs were tested at Sebring in 1965, they proved unsuccessful.

All of this is a little confusing, as disc brakes were not introduced on B body cars until 1966, C body brakes wouldn’t have fit and 1965 police package cars were fitted with oversize drum brakes. I think I have all that right.

We know that the rally Valiants used Girling disc brakes at the 1964 Monte Carlo Rally, A and C body cars got disc brakes in 1965 and that Hurst/Airheart disc brakes were used on race cars in this period. It would not be unusual for the car to have been homologated with non-production Chrysler disc brakes for competition use.

Does anyone have any thoughts or insights on what may have been used on the Daytona car?

Thanks, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!