Quote:

The contest was tons of fun, and it was good to meet everyone. Our motor had made 703 at home then lost 60 hp over 2 pulls. We had tried to wean it off oil a few times looking for power that led to 3 seperate total failures above 8,000 rpm. We broke a rocker shaft at comp after making all our pulls playing with the motor, but power kept going away. What we found was that the rocker hold down holes in the heads were failing. When we pulled it down all the bolts were finger tight, and or stripped. We were so time stressed from the 3 previous failures it just went unnoticed. Our motor left the shop for Ohio still hot from the dyno, and we never took the valve covers off till it broke at comp after the competition pulls. Our final power at home was 635 before it left, so our dyno is reading conservative. Also I didn’t realize (through stupidity) that vacuum pumps were legal. Our nearest competitor used one (smart), and we did not (stupid). We’ll put one on our motor this time. I would think ,given the ring package and rpm a pump might be worth another 15-20hp

We are redoing it with all new parts, and documenting every step for Mopar Muscle.

8500RPM on a (stock stroke?) 406...??? Oh i'm horny.

I wanna hear more about this build.