Here is the story of my 1967 Dodge Coronet RT.

I bought the RT back in 5/99 from a guy who ended up with it in 1991 as a partial trade on a Corvette he was trying to sell. He told me that he parked it in his garage when he got it and never drove it. He was a die hard Corvette fanatic and had little interest in the RT. He left it in the back of his garage from 91-99 until I bought it in '99. I was just out of high school and had a blast driving it around from 5/99 until it broke down in 11/99. The radiator busted a seam and had to be replaced. Here comes the sad part:( I parked it in my garage and never got around to it fro the next 12 years!! The car has not been fired up and even run since it broke down in '99. Same old story we've all heard. I got married and had 3 kids and priorities changed.

Here comes the good part....I decided it was time to get it back on the road. I drained the oil, changed oil filters and put new oil in. Sprayed the tops of the heads with Marvel Mystery Oil and put new valve cover gaskets on to seal it up. I put 3/4 tsp of Marvel in each cylinder and turned the motor over by hand to make sure the rings/pistons were not stuck. I installed new spark plugs with new wires. I installed a new battery and hooked up a gas can to provide me with fresh gas for start up.

We rolled the car out of the garage and proceeded to check everything one last time before we attempted a re-start. This is the crazy part. After the second attempt to re-fire it, it fired right up and went into a somewhat smooth idle. WOOHOO!!! Within 20 seconds I developed a tranny fluid leak and had to shut it down. We fixed the leak and fired it back up. This time it sat at a very nice sounding smooth idle for approx 45 seconds and then it died. Turns out the carb is all gummed up and it is not shutting off the gas flow when it should. You can hear the gas just pouring out from the carb.

This has given me a new found excitement about getting my car back on the road and I have now decided that I am going to spend the next 75 days working feverishly so it can be ready for the Turkey Rod Run in my hometown of Daytona Beach, FL. This is the last place it drove to back in '99.

I am sure I will be on here much more in the very near future!!

Thanks for reading:)

6809954-photo(3).jpg (491 downloads)