Hello all! I've posted about this build before, so some might remember my build info. I started this build earlier this summer, slowly getting pieces and parts together making sure I have the very best recipe for power. I'm sorry this is gonna be long, and if you could see my face...depressing! Anyway..the build. It is in a 1970 Challenger 99% street car. I started with a 440 block + .040 = 4.360. I bought the 440Source stroker kit for 512ci. -27 dish, -.010 below deck, ARP2000 bolts, V series main bearing, H series rods. Total seal file-to-fit rings. Block was line honed, new cam bearings, etc. Typical machine shop work done on block. I put engine together (no one to blame but me now). I have build engines since the 70's so I have done a few. I've put engines together with an impact gun that runs better than this 512! Anyway to the build, Measured everything. Mains .0025, rods: .002, rod side clearance: .020. No clearance issues with the crank or rods to the block. Ring gap may be a tad large. top: .024, second: .026. Meling HV oil pump, 6qt pan, windage tray. Cam is a Comp purchased from Indy Cyl. Gross lift: .511 duration: 246 @ .050 108.0 intake CL installed at 107. I did degree the cam and double checked myself, although still could be wrong, this was my first time to actually degree. I always just set up dot-to-dot. I followed instructions to the "T". INDY-EZ cyl heads, INDY black 1.5 rockers, INDY valve covers. Stock 6PAK set-up. Manton 9.500" pushrods. MSD Pro billet dist, MSD coil, MSD 6 box. FireCore wires, Champion C57YC plugs. Broke in at 2000RPMs for about 10mins, started initial tune......
I have initial timing at 16 all in by 3K total of 38 deg. I have adjusted timing numerous times, adjusted carbs numerous times. Engine is very hard to start, extended crank time, kicks back, back-fires thru carb. Finally get to start, runs "rough" and I hear a slight "rattling" noise. I have heard other engines with roller rockers make some noise too, so not too concerned abt that for now. I can rev to only about 5500rpm until it seems like that's all it's got. REV limiter at 7000RPM. So, I take it out for a test drive..NO power at all. I doubt if it would burn rubber! Seems like a slight miss out at light cruise.
I have taken out plugs. Might be a bit rich, Looked in chamber with a Snap-On bore scope, adjusted rockers ICE-EOI method 3 times! I'm LOST! If there was a Mopar only shop around, I'd pay what-ever to have this re-done so it's right! I'm embarrassed to give up, I thought I was better than this. Maybe someone might have a suggestion for me. Thanks guy's for even taking the time to read this!
Take care! Jeff