Background; Pacific races at night, time runs start at 5pm and we must finish by 11pm due to a noise ordinance. So I went into last night, our final points race of the season 13 points out of first place. We get 10 points per round so basically 2 rounds behind the leader, one round behind second.

2 Time runs, I go .006, and .002 on the tree, identical 12.627's on both passes. The car generally isn't even remotely consistent, but we were on a roll and I was liking my chances (I runner up'd at the race Friday night). We finally get called for first round at 8:00, some oil downs and a car count of 195 wasn't helping our cause. My .002 gets me the first round bye assuming an odd number, so they stick me off to the side of the staging lanes and start running pairs down. Both guys in front of me points wise win their races, Another oil down (antifreeze this time) halts the program. I finally end up making my single at 9:30! I'm .010 and 12.62 again, nice.

This is where everything goes to _____ ........ Like I said we have to be done by 11, they start running the other brackets. Another oil down, apparently some peoples engines are getting tired this late in the year. This oil slick is 6 feet wide and runs about 1000' long. Track Manager makes the call that we're done, he'll fix the track, finish the round they're in for super pro (7 pairs) and that's it. Its 9:45 and this point and they're estimating an hour to clean it up.

We tried to negotiate run offs between the top 3 cars in each class who were in contention for championships, we asked for them to reschedule the race, all to no avail. So the points fall how they were to that point, everyone left in competition splits their respective purses and that's a wrap on the points series for this year.

To sum up the night; I'm .006, .002 and .010. 12.62 all 3 runs. I win one round and finished 3rd for season since the race was called and I'll get a check that's probably not big enough to cover my entry fee. I feel slightly cheated to race all spring and summer to this point and not have the opportunity to win or lose it myself, but everyone has to play by the same rules and it was the managers call.

-Dustin
67 Dart, 9 second, 392" G3 Hemi
68 Barracuda 340 F/SA