Quote:

Quote:

Years ago,
I remember reading a post from a Dodge dealership tech
that said that the 1994-1995 OBD-I PCM systems had a 0 to 6 degree adjustable ignition timing retard setting that the official Chrysler DRB could set.

Anyone know if this is true

Can a DRB-2 like this one on eBay make this adjustment?

After 1996 with the OBD-II PCM systems
it appears that a complete 'flash' of the PCM was necessary to do ignition timing adjustments,
such as the infamous 'Death Flash' applied to 5.2/5.9 V8 trucks that were pinging on 87 octane gasoline.

I don't know much about the DRB-2, but to my knowledge the only way to program the OBD1 engines is the replace the chip within the unit.

I think what the tech was refering to was the phasing of the cam sensor in the distributor. It shows 0, +1, etc.

I am not sure that this is actually controling the ignition timing directly as the PCM I think can still over rule that. (Hence the reason for the flash instead of having a tech just retard the distibutor a few degrees).

I did not mean to sound like you were saying the OBD 1 computers are not able to support functions. However, others, and myself that I have talked to always thought that OBD 1 computers would not support hardly any mods, and after buying this truck and throwing in a stock computer, I can tell you that my misconception and others is wrong.

I wanted to build a 408 with a magnum harness for my 69 barracuda, but instead went with a 5.7 hemi and factory efi.

My reason for the OBD 1 harness is it is cheap and not labor intensive to make, and you can find 94-95 dakota with a bad trans for under 500 bucks and you have almost everything you need to put a cheap efi set up in any old mopar. On both swaps I helped with, thats what the customers bought, both had bad trans (imagine that).

I would love to see your pics. PS look in the Best of Moparts Tech Archives, and there is some info on my buddies car. I think it is 5.2 in an E-body is the tite. The pictures are before we wrapped the harness.

Interested in having you car wired? Drag car, street car, EFI swap? PM for details