Quote:

Larry, that truck is really stunning!

What was the deal with the tire?

Brand?

Older?

Wipe out the wheel?

The tire tread seperated from the inside of the tire. The tire was older than should have been run, but they looked good and this truck stays inside all the time to not get very much sun on the tires to dry rot them. But I pushed my luck to far on the age of the tires and thats why it failed. When the tread came off and was slapping around is what did the damage to the truck it did not damage the wheel. The tire still had air in it after this happen an I was able to drive a ways, very slowly to get to a safe area to change it. There were some signs that there was something wrong before this happen. As I was leaving the fairgrounds and driving through Carlisle in traffic I had a vibration that wasn't usally there. I stopped before I got on the interstate to check the truck out thinking I might have a loose wheel or something. I jacked the truck up on the front and checked everyting I could see and found nothing. Made the decision to press on, although now I know that was the wrong one. At intersate speed there was no vibaration. I had made it about 70 miles out of Carlilse when this happen, just a couple of minutes before the tire came apart the vibration had came in at interstate speed nothing bad but you could feel it. So I know from now on what this happening feels like. I worried the whole way home 400+ miles about one of the other tires doing this. Tires are supposed to be changed every 5-6 years these tires were 14-15 years old still with very good tread on them. So I will know better from here on out to change tires when I'm supposed to.
Larry

77 Dodge Adventurer SE 440 2wd SWB
78 Dodge Adventurer SE 440 2wd Utiline
90 Dodge D150 SWB 2wd 318fi 4speed
60 Desoto Adventurer 2dr
67 Dodge Dart Gt Conv. 273 4bbl
04 PT Cruiser GT Turbo
14 Ram R/T
"Life's to short to drink cheap beer."