Tight budget build, here's my dilema: I have a '81 D-150 std cab, long box, 3.55 Sure grip, 27" tires. I have two engine choices to choose from, 1978 low mileage truck 440, or '97 318 magnum. My question is: what would be the best choice for a street toy type engine with limited bracket use. I know that the obvious answer would be the 440, but I'm thinking that the 440 which is a good running '78 truck engine, wouldn't really gain me enough extra power to justify the increased gas consumption. If I went with the 440, it would be stock shortblock (very low compression) with a short duration/high lift cam, stock intake w/thermoquad, and stock truck manifolds, if I went with the 318 magnum, it would be with a mild hyd. roller cam, 1 5/8" long tube street headers, Performer RPM intake and 600 vac. secondary Holley, Both would be backed with a 727 with a 2500 converter. Would I really gain that much with the low compression 440 versus the much more efficient 318 magnum? i'm basically an old school small block guy (high compression 340's) with not much big block or magnum small block experience) I will add that if I went with the 318 magnum, I would be upgrading to a 360 shortblock under the 318 heads at some point, if I went with the 440, it would be staying for some time. My only big block experience is with a healthy 383 in my old '68 Roadrunner, (Which was a very strong package), but I am pretty impressed by the magnum small blocks that I have driven as well.) I guess I am just looking for some real world experience here, I have not weighed the truck, but it is a standard cab, long box, no A/C truck with stock interior, so I am thinking around 3800 lbs???