Sounds like you want something similar to a 68-70 RR engine. I don't have a recommendation on pistons. I just don't know what is out there for 383s. I would say whatever it takes to get to the 9:1 range. A cam in the 210 to 220 range at .050. I bet you would really like a 262xe Comp. I have a 268xe in a 400 and it works pretty well but i am using the 175k MP converter. If you are using a factory low stall i think the 262 would be a better choice. It's fairly similar to a stock RR cam but with a tighter lobe center and a hair more lift. Stock intake or DP4B. Perf RPM if you have the room. I like Holleys so i would use a 3310 750vs or something similar. I actually like the 4777 650 dp on engines that size but i am sure some will tell you that's a no-no for your project. A thermoquad would probably be great if you can find a good one. A bowl blend on the heads would be nice, recurved distributor, 1 3/4 headers.Could probably end up with a car that drove like a stock RR but is a good 1/2 second or more faster and and a couple MPG better too.