Quote:

This may be a bit off target but here's my take on our cars and the expense to drive them and have fun. Any of you own or ever own a boat? The pleasure of operating a boat is measured in gallons per hour. My point is this is a hobby and we need to enjoy our hobby the best we can. Maybe that means pulling the big block and dropping in a late model small block with FI and an o/d trans. Still get to enjoy the car and get good mpg but it may not have the grunt it had with the big block. That's the trade-off we make but still get to enjoy!

And thats exactly what i plan on doing. My original big block build has become more ov a temporary fix now. I would completely abandon it for the new stuff, but i have pretty much all the parts, and unlike the modern stuff, its a very simple bolt-in... not a 3 month project involving engineers and scientists. So i'll build my stock stroke lowdeck for now with a 4-speed, but the PLAN is for a much smaller, lighter engine making about the same power or just a bit more, with EFI, 5 or 6 gears, and at least 200 less pounds over that long nose. Cant wait!

But for now, in my current car, the 72 Charger, life is a mess. Low-comp 440, 6-pack-ish cam (size), Holley SD manifold, Holley 750 vac-sec, stock heads, electric ign., Hooker Comps and a 3" mandrel X-pipe exhaust, 727 w stock converter, 8 3/4" w 3.23 sure-grip... 8mpg. Thats combined, though mostly in town... i rarely go anywhere in it due to cost. I dont give a [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] HOW fast it is... (and mines not, particularly...) 8mpg is just not fun. Some ov us dont have good jobs or lines ov credit.

Hell, even my 68 Caddy hearse that weighs near-6000lbs (about 2000lbs... one TON more than my Charger) with its 30+ cid larger engine, the aerodynamics ov a freight train and 20ft ov heavy steel drivetrain (TH400, 2 shafts, massive coupler, massive axle and brakes, 31" mud tires) gets better mileage than the damn Charger... 11 combined last i checked... and thats with a pretty gross exhaust and single point ignition... and lots ov other issues to cost me mpg.

There was also a 'these are toys' comment in here, and thats the case for many here, but some ov us can only have one car insured... so if its not the 'toy' then its some POS and there is little use even owning the toy. My aim is to drive the toy every day, and actually get around in it... and i mean get around. Last time i had a good-on-gas car insured i'd find myself all over creation in it... just like you could do 20 years ago... And THAT... is 10X the fun ov owning a 600HP car that gets 8mpg and never leaves town in my opinion.