06/23/23 02:46 PM
06/23/23 02:46 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
at one time, wasn't there an AMC front suspension that was the "bolt on of the month" setup to use because it had rack and pinion steering ?
that popped into my mind for some reason...........
beer

Re: Corvette suspension on old mopars. [Re: moparx] #3153860
06/23/23 03:25 PM
06/23/23 03:25 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
There have been a lot of "kits" over the years. At best, most were considered another possible option, but not necessarily an improvement, unless what was originally there is gone or total junk.

What seems to be missing is that a 41 Plymouth actually has a decent front suspension. It was cutting edge tech that was light years ahead of anything else built at the time. Most parts are still available, and with a few modifications and brake upgrades, still works pretty well in this day and age. Adding power steering is the most difficult process and I suspect a modern power steering box could be adapted easier then adding the Vette subframe.

If the major parts of the original suspension are present, and the frame is still good, a few modifications and brake upgrades will provide a great driver with a great ride. Its easy to lower, and can be beefed up if better performance is wanted. The added benefit is the front sheet metal still will bolt on without having to create something to support it.

Re: Corvette suspension on old mopars. [Re: poorboy] #3153862
06/23/23 03:41 PM
06/23/23 03:41 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Do you know who Rick Dobbertin is?

Re: Corvette suspension on old mopars. [Re: Sniper] #3153871
06/23/23 04:22 PM
06/23/23 04:22 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by Sniper

shruggy Why should I care?

Re: Corvette suspension on old mopars. [Re: poorboy] #3168486
08/17/23 11:51 AM
08/17/23 11:51 AM
San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline OP
YouTube is my go-to news source
migsBIG  Offline OP
YouTube is my go-to news source

San Jose,CA
Originally Posted by poorboy
Its still a Vette system (or pretends to be), one of 3 or 4 different versions, none of which impress me enough to install under a different vehicle. I would probably be way less impressed with a system that has been narrowed to "fit" more vehicles .I've seen enough poorly designed "kits" to not have a desire to look at another one, let alone do the work required to make most of these "kits" function.

I've modified frames and bolted the old Mopar cross torsion bar cradle onto different vehicles back when that was the thing to do, as well as more then a few other specially built cradles that were suppose to bolt onto your existing frame. In most cases, you cut off the existing front (or rear) frame, and build something to hold the cradle.

The OP asked what we knew. I've responded. I've actually done this stuff with vehicles that have actually been driven, and have been called in to help several get a "kit" to go down the road safely.

Its a lot of work for the small amount of improvement you probably wouldn't notice, unless your taking up road racing or parking lot timed events. For something street driven, those fancy sub frames only add to the cost for very little (if any) noticeable improvement.

The reason I was considering the vette kit was:
Ease of instillation.
Parts availability.
Functionality.
Upgradable components.

All work for the next two years has to be farmed out, so anything that does not more than basic work will be going to a shop. If I could afford to buy a whole frame done and slide it under, I would do it. This is a viable option for me.

Re: Corvette suspension on old mopars. [Re: migsBIG] #3168691
08/17/23 11:30 PM
08/17/23 11:30 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
You do you. it is your ride not mine. When you are paying someone to do the job, it does make sense to buy all new stuff.

I'm a retired welder by trade, I don't farm this kind of stuff out, so my perspective is different then yours. You asked what we knew, and I told you what I know.

Re: Corvette suspension on old mopars. [Re: migsBIG] #3169086
08/19/23 07:40 PM
08/19/23 07:40 PM
Peoples Republic of Oregon
W
wayfarer Offline
wayfarer  Offline
W

Peoples Republic of Oregon
I am curious as to what you plan to do with the 41 when you are finished. The mentioned mod's sure look like a money pit.

www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com
Early Hemi Parts and Tech
EarlyHemi and flat 6&8 trans adapters
***inventory clearance in progress. Nothing held back. See website.***
Re: Corvette suspension on old mopars. [Re: poorboy] #3169090
08/19/23 08:03 PM
08/19/23 08:03 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere

Because your ignorance shines thru like a million watt search light.

I suggest you find out who he is.

Re: Corvette suspension on old mopars. [Re: migsBIG] #3169098
08/19/23 09:12 PM
08/19/23 09:12 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by migsBIG
Its still a Vette system (or pretends to be), one of 3 or 4 different versions, none of which impress me enough to install under a different vehicle. I would probably be way less impressed with a system that has been narrowed to "fit" more vehicles .I've seen enough poorly designed "kits" to not have a desire to look at another one, let alone do the work required to make most of these "kits" function.

I've modified frames and bolted the old Mopar cross torsion bar cradle onto different vehicles back when that was the thing to do, as well as more then a few other specially built cradles that were suppose to bolt onto your existing frame. In most cases, you cut off the existing front (or rear) frame, and build something to hold the cradle.

The OP asked what we knew. I've responded. I've actually done this stuff with vehicles that have actually been driven, and have been called in to help several get a "kit" to go down the road safely.

Its a lot of work for the small amount of improvement you probably wouldn't notice, unless your taking up road racing or parking lot timed events. For something street driven, those fancy sub frames only add to the cost for very little (if any) noticeable improvement.

The reason I was considering the vette kit was:
Ease of instillation.
Parts availability.
Functionality.
Upgradable components.

All work for the next two years has to be farmed out, so anything that does not more than basic work will be going to a shop. If I could afford to buy a whole frame done and slide it under, I would do it. This is a viable option for me.

Speaking only of the rear, years back, I had a C3 & C4 rear IRS on the shelf for a similar project, other than bragging rights, it was not a worthy upgrade IMO. My current path is a CTSV IRS, with some easy beefy upgrades to quell wheel hop issues, swap to Coilovers, and a complete center replacement with a full size IRS QC. For IFS I would just go with the Morrison offering.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Corvette suspension on old mopars. [Re: Sniper] #3169120
08/19/23 11:43 PM
08/19/23 11:43 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA

Because your ignorance shines thru like a million watt search light.

I suggest you find out who he is.

Again, why should I care?

I have no interest in putting a modified Corvette suspension under a Mopar car or truck. Over the years I have seen dozens of modified Corvette suspension systems, all falling short of what GM originally did, which really didn't impress me to begin with. Whom ever this guy is, he has just made another attempt at "improving" something GM did to put under an over rated, over priced car. But you go ahead and spend your money, for the bragging rights if it makes you feel important.

Page 2 of 2 1 2