Too Many Posts
A12  Online Content
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
Originally Posted by A12
Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
Originally Posted by A12
Question if you take the radiator, water pump, thermostat, coolant or everything to do with liquid cooling out of the picture for engine cooling what would be the main component for cooling the engine?

Is this like that Schrodinger's cat question?

I think my answer is the state of the tune-up shruggy

Gus beer

Just trying to show how surface area, material, and air flow IMO have as much or more to do with engine cooling than flow rates and radiator cores. I've raced air cooled motorcycle engines for a long time and in the late '70's early '80's high performance motocross and off-road motorcycle engines became liquid cooled and we dealt with the overheating issues and mostly (but not exclusively) the problems were caused by lack or reduced air flow. On air cooled engines it relied on the surface area of the cylinder fins, the material (aluminum) and the air flow across and around the cylinder and cylinder head fins. When we went to liquid cooled engines all we were basically doing was using the coolant as a medium to take the primary source of heat engine combustion and taking it to one or two aluminum radiators and dissipating that heat to air. No real rocket science except in air flow with radiator side panels as scoops and our engineers even came with side panel or radiator "shrouds" that had opening that created a "chimney effect" that would help remove hot radiator air from behind the radiators at slow speeds or even at a standstill. Engines are still air cooled in my opinion they just use coolant to take that heat to a radiator or air cooling area. That's why I feel or know that air flow, surface area and material are most important. Check out this air cooled, 500cc single, hemi head, twin spark plug 60+ HP motocross bike from the early '80's. Lots of aluminum cooling fin area with lots of space for air flow. BTW most liquid cooled motocross bike still use the same basic size aluminum radiators to this day. Only a few things have changed like special radiator coating rather than black paint to better dissipate heat or small electric fans on the backside of the radiators for extreme slow moving conditions. AIR FLOW IMO is a key element.

Yeah I get the airflow deal. All you have to do is look at the duct work on a cup car to see the science behind air flow to EVERY component on the car that generates heat.

Gus

up up up

And as I mentioned before, a small piece of duct tape added or removed or a hotdog wrapper and either overheating, too cool or just right.

Re: Radiator cooling efficiency [Re: poorboy] #3121345
02/14/23 12:36 AM
02/14/23 12:36 AM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted by poorboy
Originally Posted by madscientist
Originally Posted by poorboy
Originally Posted by Sniper
Go look at the formula for calculating thermal transfer efficiency. Guess which variable isn't in it? Time.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/320490866_Performance_Analysis_of_Automobile_Radiator

So Sniper's link is about the construction of a cross flow radiator and its configurations. They are comparing radiator designs against each other, so everything is consistent. There is nothing considered concerning over heating. Yes, I read it.

TJP's linky is specifically referring to over heating, its primary concern is low air flow through the radiator. It appears to be an article in a news paper from a guy that had an over heating experience on an LA freeway, so it may well only be an opinion as well.
It does state "If for some reason the air flow rate through the radiator is too low, the radiator won't be able to do its job and the engine may overheat. At this point (after over heating) If the coolant flow rate is increased the engine will then transfer more heat to the coolant which will exacerbate the situation. I looked it up, exacerbate means to aggravate or irritate. Yes, I read it too.

The battle rages onward!

The battle rages on because of the myths perpetuated that will not die.

Think about it.

The longer the coolant stays in the radiator, it’s also staying in the block longer. Where it picks up more heat. That means the radiator has to dump more heat. So staying in the radiator is adding to the heat load the radiator has to eliminate.

We are working with limited temperature differentials. On a 100 degree day, the difference between that ambient temperature and your coolant temperature is less than it is if the ambient is say…60 degrees. That temperature differential is what makes cooling possible.

What your temperature gauge is telling you is the AVERAGE coolant temperature at the intake manifold. You can (and probably will) have localized coolant temperatures much higher than what the gauge says.

Getting the coolant out of the block quicker (more flow) will reduce local hot spot temperatures because the coolant is moving out of those areas so it’s not allowing the temperature to build up in those places.

You can always tell when a cooling system is inadequate. When the temperature on the gauge is higher than the rated temperature of the thermostat you’ve got issues. If you have a 180 thermostat then your gauge should stay between 180-185 in ANY weather conditions you may incur. On a very hot day, you may see an additional 10 degrees of temperature sitting at a LONG stop light or (alike happens to me if I’m not paying attention) if you get caught waiting for a long train to get out of the way. But as soon as you start moving the temperature should go back to where it normally runs.

If you have a 180 thermostat and your normal operating temperature is say…195 then your cooling system is inadequate. That then is a coolant and air flow issue. Too slow of coolant speed or not enough airflow or both.

The thermostat sets the MINIMUM operating temperature. That’s all it’s job is. It’s a restriction and that’s BAD, but it’s necessary. I have to run a thermostat. If I don’t, even on a 90 degree day my coolant temperature won’t go over 120 degrees or so. On a 50 degree day it won’t go over about 90 degrees. That’s because my cooling system is fully capable of controlling coolant temperature like it should so the thermostat does exactly what it should do, and that’s set the minimum temperature.

There is a reason why guys can go from a 190 to a 160 thermostat and the engine doesn’t stay any cooler. The cooling system is inadequate to deal with the heat load it has to deal with.

I run my water pump at 6% overdriven and if I could I’d double that or a bit more. We had some 108 degree days several years back and my engine temperature was at 160 even in that heat. At stop lights it would get to 175ish and then it would drop back down to 160 once I got moving again.

The backwards thinking that the coolant has to stay in the radiator longer to dump more heat is a fallacy, because the coolant stays in the block longer picking up more heat that the system has to deal with.

Gee, that is a really nice write up.

Except, the thermostat temp (160, 180, 190) is the temp the thermostat starts to open, not the temp it is fully open. If you have a 180 thermostat and your coolant temp is 180, either your gauge is incorrect, or your thermostat is not operating correctly. Of course that also depends on the location of the gauge sender, in relation to the thermostat, and you are assuming the gauge sender is submerged in coolant and not in a trapped air pocket.

A cooling system that can maintain the coolant temperature within 10 degrees of the thermostat rating is functioning correctly.

I've been playing with cooling systems on cars & trucks for a very long time. There is very seldom (read that as almost never) one "fix" that works every time. Usually is a combination of "fixes" that have to be tested to determine which one(s) will cure the issue. Air flow that passes through the radiator traveling all the way through leaving the engine compartment, and obstructions and alterations that change coolant flow speed (fast or slow) from the original design are usually right after coolant leaks as the places to start. Outside of poor maintenance, modifications to the cooling system (or the motor) are usually the causes of cooling system failure.

Only if you buy cheap assed, low grade thermostats. Stewart Components makes the best thermostat. And they are FULLY OPEN at their rated temperature. So there is that.

So when I say the thermostat sets the MINIMUM OPERATING TEMPERATURE that means you can’t buy straight junk. You need to spend a bit of money on a quality thermostat.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Radiator cooling efficiency [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #3121377
02/14/23 09:45 AM
02/14/23 09:45 AM
Minn
S
SportF Offline
pro stock
SportF  Offline
pro stock
S

Minn
"Not to go off-topic, but “Pennzoil myth”??? High paraffin base stock that leads to sludge/varnish under high heat???"

Kinda sounds like you're into it.

Note how many race oil companies come out of Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania crude has some of the best lubrication qualities of all crude on the planet. If it was actually bad, they would have fixed it decades ago.

Not going any further with this.

Last edited by SportF; 02/14/23 09:45 AM.
Re: Radiator cooling efficiency [Re: madscientist] #3121482
02/14/23 03:42 PM
02/14/23 03:42 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
Another factor to consider, if you increase the fluid volume of the radiator (by adding extra size/square area, rows of fins, etc), then that extra volume should help to dissipate at least a little more heat.... my thoughts.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: Radiator cooling efficiency [Re: SportF] #3121506
02/14/23 04:48 PM
02/14/23 04:48 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by SportF
"Not to go off-topic, but “Pennzoil myth”??? High paraffin base stock that leads to sludge/varnish under high heat???"

Kinda sounds like you're into it.

Note how many race oil companies come out of Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania crude has some of the best lubrication qualities of all crude on the planet. If it was actually bad, they would have fixed it decades ago.

Not going any further with this.

just like the "quaker state" myth..............
both of these myths were ultimately chased back to bad maintenance, [not changing the oil] and short trip driving, not allowing the oil to get up to proper operating temperature.
these myths were rampant in my junkyard ownership days [1972-1984/5], and we sold a lot of engines because of them. knowing several people well that bought engines from us, it quickly became apparent no matter what oil was used, not changing it and short trips did engines in.
remember now, back in those days, the machining process was totally different than today's, and if an engine lasted 100k, it was because of good maintenance and/or long drives getting everything up to proper operating temperature.
and as above, that's all the further i'm going with this.
beer

Re: Radiator cooling efficiency [Re: moparx] #3121838
02/15/23 07:48 PM
02/15/23 07:48 PM
GA
roadrunninMark Offline
master
roadrunninMark  Offline
master

GA
If you haven't bought your radiator yet, check out Holleys winter sale. Here is a radiator for your car, I believe.... You won't beat this price.. https://www.holley.com/products/cooling/radiators_and_accessories/radiators/parts/FB706

Re: Radiator cooling efficiency [Re: roadrunninMark] #3122069
02/16/23 02:20 PM
02/16/23 02:20 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
that IS a good price ! up
beer

Re: Radiator cooling efficiency [Re: roadrunninMark] #3122311
02/17/23 12:41 PM
02/17/23 12:41 PM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.
Originally Posted by roadrunninMark
If you haven't bought your radiator yet, check out Holleys winter sale. Here is a radiator for your car, I believe.... You won't beat this price.. https://www.holley.com/products/cooling/radiators_and_accessories/radiators/parts/FB706

Man that looks just like my champion???

Re: Radiator cooling efficiency [Re: second 70] #3122339
02/17/23 02:05 PM
02/17/23 02:05 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Online content
I Live Here
TJP  Online Content
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by second 70
Originally Posted by roadrunninMark

Man that looks just like my champion???

whistling popcorn

Re: Radiator cooling efficiency [Re: madscientist] #3124963
02/27/23 07:28 AM
02/27/23 07:28 AM
Brisvegas, Australia
A
Alchemi Offline
enthusiast
Alchemi  Offline
enthusiast
A

Brisvegas, Australia
Ok, so i went n read some more, chatted to some people and worked out what i had wrong with the other condenser i use and im happy to take my Spanking.

Please sir may i have another lols

So in my reading a couple of nuggets that popped out for me were...

No point having a radiator larger than the actual open area of your grill minus any mesh and so forth, seems like common sense and would point to where a smaller thicker radiator could work better than a wider 2 core one depending on the car.

One source stated that the ideal flow speed through a radiator tube is 6-7 feet per second with the errosion factor starting at 10fps - thoughts, comments, is it worth the math to work that out?

It would seem to me that an external electric pump like the Davies Craig ewp 40gpm with a diy pwm control for it and thermo fans would be a good street set up that would be traffic jam indifferent? No doubt insufficient for a serious engine with sustained rpm, thoughts?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcw-dc-8160

Re: Radiator cooling efficiency [Re: Alchemi] #3124969
02/27/23 09:22 AM
02/27/23 09:22 AM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted by Alchemi
Ok, so i went n read some more, chatted to some people and worked out what i had wrong with the other condenser i use and im happy to take my Spanking.

Please sir may i have another lols

So in my reading a couple of nuggets that popped out for me were...

No point having a radiator larger than the actual open area of your grill minus any mesh and so forth, seems like common sense and would point to where a smaller thicker radiator could work better than a wider 2 core one depending on the car.

One source stated that the ideal flow speed through a radiator tube is 6-7 feet per second with the errosion factor starting at 10fps - thoughts, comments, is it worth the math to work that out?

It would seem to me that an external electric pump like the Davies Craig ewp 40gpm with a diy pwm control for it and thermo fans would be a good street set up that would be traffic jam indifferent? No doubt insufficient for a serious engine with sustained rpm, thoughts?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcw-dc-8160

Go to the Stewart Components web site and read their tech pages. They are experts.

That DC 40 GPM pump won’t cool much. You can bet it will flow half of that in an actual cooling system.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5