Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted by JohnRR
Originally Posted by J_BODY
Originally Posted by JohnRR

And for god's sake don't put that ATF+4 shift in the trans.

Ran +4 in my built 47RE. I even run it it my 904 in the race car smile

I'm other way , I don't run + anything in my built 47RE .

Not sure why we would use hi friction clutches, eliminate things that soften the shift and make everything apply quicker, add clutches to increase surface area, turn up the pressure, do everything more aggressively, and then put slippery trans fluid in it that is designed to make it shift smooth and soft, so grandma doesn't complain about feeling the gear change.

I went from Type FA to a premium synthetic ATF made for late model passenger cars in my two speed. A unit that would go plenty of runs and have the clutches look and mic like brand new . The result was black streaks on high gear clutches and steels from slippage on apply. shruggy

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: 727 Accumulator Spring Question [Re: Guitar Jones] #3085132
10/11/22 02:04 PM
10/11/22 02:04 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
I can see where if the spring was just removed and the servo wasn't blocked that, that may be a problem, but since there is line pressure above and below the accumulator servo they should cancel each other out with the servo blocked.

The only time there is line pressure on both sides of the piston is on the upshift, on initial application of the clutch there is only pressure on the case side which also supplies the clutch.

I can also see where increased line pressure could be a problem, or throwing it in drive while on fast idle or a neutral drop would cause that.

When cold, the line pressure is high even in an unmodified trans and the spring eases the shock of application. Removing the outer spring, by itself, serves no useful purpose.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Page 2 of 2 1 2