Wind Gap,Pa.
S
Sammy Offline OP
top fuel
Sammy  Offline OP
top fuel
S

Wind Gap,Pa.
Has anyone used one of these rear fuel filters water separators before.
It comes with 2 o rings. I changed the original out to the Wix. Didn't see the 2 Orings and just left the original o ring on the threaded sensors/ drain peacock and it keeps leaking.
Any help?
Does it take 2 o rings?

Re: Wix rear fuel filter for cummins diesel 2017 3500 [Re: Sammy] #2978759
10/26/21 10:48 PM
10/26/21 10:48 PM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
First…. Did you use the drain on the wif sensor (bottom of filter) to drain it? If so after reading how it’s been four years, you’ll need a new one. The seals go bad once moved after a long time.

My second thought is your choice of filter. The OE mopar has a smaller footprint on the top seal than some of the aftermarket. Being the sealing surface is aluminum some corrosion/pitting can occur, especially on vehicles in winter climates, so when the elcheapo filter is installed the rubber attempts to seal on a not so smooth surface.

Another thing when “filter considering” is that on two occasions I’ve run into aftermarket filters that improperly engaged the check ball on the filter housing. That was an incredibly expensive filter change for that customer, but the Mopar/Fleetguard filter fixed it.

If the wif sensor is leaking where the smaller oring goes I’d suspect the filter.

Maybe it’s just me but air and fuel filters are two places I’ve always stuck to the book on…. and your fuel system costs tons more than mine.

Re: Wix rear fuel filter for cummins diesel 2017 3500 [Re: J_BODY] #2978841
10/27/21 10:34 AM
10/27/21 10:34 AM
Wind Gap,Pa.
S
Sammy Offline OP
top fuel
Sammy  Offline OP
top fuel
S

Wind Gap,Pa.
We
Originally Posted by J_BODY
First…. Did you use the drain on the wif sensor (bottom of filter) to drain it? If so after reading how it’s been four years, you’ll need a new one. The seals go bad once moved after a long time.

My second thought is your choice of filter. The OE mopar has a smaller footprint on the top seal than some of the aftermarket. Being the sealing surface is aluminum some corrosion/pitting can occur, especially on vehicles in winter climates, so when the elcheapo filter is installed the rubber attempts to seal on a not so smooth surface.

Another thing when “filter considering” is that on two occasions I’ve run into aftermarket filters that improperly engaged the check ball on the filter housing. That was an incredibly expensive filter change for that customer, but the Mopar/Fleetguard filter fixed it.

If the wif sensor is leaking where the smaller oring goes I’d suspect the filter.

Maybe it’s just me but air and fuel filters are two places I’ve always stuck to the book on…. and your fuel system costs tons more than mine.

It was fixed with new orange. I thought wix was a good filter. I think I should have waited and got the oe mopar one.
Will change out at 5000 miles to oe one. Hopefully it doesn't cause any issues with throwing a code.