Moparts

carb on a 6.4

Posted By: HotRodDave

carb on a 6.4 - 02/14/24 02:06 AM

Is there a way to do it without removing the crank to switch the tone wheel? Maybe an update to the MSD hemi 6 now that VVT has been out for 15 years or some kind of adapter? What about another way all together to fire the coils?
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: carb on a 6.4 - 02/14/24 02:53 PM

You could use this system to run ignition only. This same system can also do the fuel, but wouldn't be a big deal to just run ignition.

https://www.efisource.com/wp/shop/microsquirt-plug-and-play-for-2009-g3-hemi/

At that point it costs more to go with a carb, just run the EFI with this basic controller.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: carb on a 6.4 - 02/21/24 06:41 AM

I am going to try this one…

https://www.modernmusclextreme.com/...ontrol-system-by-mmx-and-efi-source.aspx

Re: carb on a 6.4 - 02/22/24 04:24 PM

I never heard back so that is what we ordered, it really isn't more expensive than the msd considering it comes with the harness
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: carb on a 6.4 - 02/22/24 04:32 PM

That MMX setup does look nice,plus it fits all years of the G3 Hemi.
Posted By: BDW

Re: carb on a 6.4 - 02/23/24 01:39 PM

Out of curiosity, what is the advantage of carb vs EFI?
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: carb on a 6.4 - 02/23/24 02:15 PM

Not a 6.4, but I had a buddy that put a 5.7L in his 68 Dart with a carb. He has since sold it. However, it ran pretty good. I think it went the best of like 12:30's and all stock, other than what it took to do the swap into his car.

Re: carb on a 6.4 - 02/23/24 10:27 PM

Simpler, cheaper, harder to start....
Posted By: BANDIT

Re: carb on a 6.4 - 02/24/24 03:52 AM

Would there be a way to run a stock 04 5-speed auto with the MMX system? Jim
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: carb on a 6.4 - 02/24/24 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by HotRodDave
Simpler, cheaper, harder to start....

Easier fuel system and wiring plus if you are doing a big project one less thing to worry about.
It has gotten easier to use EFI so I might use it on my next project.
Posted By: w2stroker

Re: carb on a 6.4 - 02/26/24 02:03 PM

sound German engineering has a stand alone harness for the nag1 5 speed
Posted By: BDW

Re: carb on a 6.4 - 02/29/24 11:38 AM

Looking at the cost of that standalone controller, I'm not seeing a cost savings?
Add up the controller, manifold and carb, it's the same or probably higher than the EFI?

I guess if you already have a carb, but still don't see the upside?
There is a cost for the EFI tank, so maybe that's the reason.
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: carb on a 6.4 - 02/29/24 01:47 PM

Pretty much the same cost starting from scratch and buying new but who does that?
I had a carb, pump and fuel cell.

Re: carb on a 6.4 - 02/29/24 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by RTSE4ME
Pretty much the same cost starting from scratch and buying new but who does that?
I had a carb, pump and fuel cell.

EFI guys are LYING OUT THEIR BUTT when they say it is the same cost to go to EFI if you are buying new. There is a computer either way and the carb one is cheaper, got to buy injectors and a carb is cheaper than new injectors unless your buying the flavor of the week custom carb, the fuel lines are cheaper especially if your EFI needs a return, EFI needs fuel rails that are usually extra, the carb fuel pump is cheaper, the fuel tank is cheaper, the wiring is far easier and if your paying someone to do it then it is cheaper, no weldin in O2s for a carb unless you want them, no buying O2s... and none of this is using parts you have laying around, his car already has a nice fuel tank and fuel lines for a carb so he could literally buy a carb, intake, and ignition controller and that is it.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: carb on a 6.4 - 03/01/24 11:51 PM

The carb vs. EDI comparison isn't clear for me at this point. That said, I already have a well dialed in carb, fresh Holley black pump and new plumbing already in the car.

I have the Prefix intake so I am intrigued by a possible 4150 style EFI throttle body, but we'll see.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: carb on a 6.4 - 03/04/24 02:06 PM

Dave you’re supposed to get all that stuff (less the fuel pump) with the donor engine!

I don’t know all of the intakes available now and what you’re gonna run, but that 6.4 intake with the variable runner length / flapper valve might make a big difference in low end torque and top end power.
Posted By: furious70

Re: carb on a 6.4 - 03/06/24 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by GTX MATT
Dave you’re supposed to get all that stuff (less the fuel pump) with the donor engine!

I don’t know all of the intakes available now and what you’re gonna run, but that 6.4 intake with the variable runner length / flapper valve might make a big difference in low end torque and top end power.

Completely agree here. plenty of dyno tests showing the 5.7 truck intake is good and comes fully loaded.

Re: carb on a 6.4 - 03/12/24 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by GTX MATT

If you get to count injectors and intake in the price that may or may not come with an engine than I get to use a 750 HP carbulator I have laying around for price comparison...
© 2024 Moparts Forums