Moparts

Hemi suddenly has insatiable craving for oil?

Posted By: HotRodDave

Hemi suddenly has insatiable craving for oil? - 09/07/23 05:31 PM

So a friends truck has gone from using 1 qt between oil changes to using 1qt ever 100 miles overnight, no smoke, no noise, no blow-by, no misfire, no leaks... I thought maybe a piston chipped but even with the PCV hose plugged it barely shows any blow by and even that is smooth and not puffing at all.
Posted By: redraptor

Re: Hemi suddenly has insatiable craving for oil? - 09/09/23 11:04 AM

Wow! Well, he wouldn't be the first person to have to step up API weight for no apparent reason to keep oil in it. Did he do a plug reading?
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Hemi suddenly has insatiable craving for oil? - 09/09/23 08:42 PM

There's only two ways that oil gets out of a motor. It burns it or it leaks it. It doesn't just magically disappear.
Posted By: Prodart440

Re: Hemi suddenly has insatiable craving for oil? - 09/10/23 02:32 AM

If he's running synthetic oil, you won't see it burn.
Posted By: 1969ronnie

Re: Hemi suddenly has insatiable craving for oil? - 09/10/23 12:37 PM

wave Hi , Also what Oil Brand & Type , what Grade of Oil , what Oil filter Brand , and how often is it Changed / Replaced . Could be something small like a Rodent ate a Hole in His Air Filter a few months ago , and His HEMI is Eating Dirt & Dust for the last 60 days ? We need more Info to Help Fix the Oil Burning HEMI . help

Re: Hemi suddenly has insatiable craving for oil? - 09/11/23 04:31 PM

I change the oil here at my shop it gets done religiously every 3000 miles and we use oreilly brand synthetic 10-40 in the summer and 5-40 in the winter. Oil filters are oreilley generic (wix).

My first thought was I didn't get the drain plug or filter tight but I checked them and they are dry and tight... I also thought maybe I got distracted or something and didn't actually fill it up the last time but even after topping it up it still keeps dropping rapidly.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Hemi suddenly has insatiable craving for oil? - 09/11/23 04:42 PM

Dave, you have replaced the PCV?
Posted By: BANDIT

Re: Hemi suddenly has insatiable craving for oil? - 09/11/23 07:40 PM

Hey Dave, was going to send you a PM, but your over limit. Can you reach out to me? Jim.

Re: Hemi suddenly has insatiable craving for oil? - 09/22/23 08:52 PM

260 8596 with a Montana areola code to call or text
Posted By: clonestocker

Re: Hemi suddenly has insatiable craving for oil? - 02/26/24 01:25 AM

my son's build was doing this. all kinds of oil. On disassembly we think that it was pushing oil from the oil feed to the heads thru the mls gasket. On one cylinder all the gasket layers were saturated with oil. The block wasn't decked and checked ok but I think that was the problem. The leak down was good, etc.
© 2024 Moparts Forums