Moparts

Exhaust manifolds for Turbo A Body

Posted By: Bad340fish

Exhaust manifolds for Turbo A Body - 03/16/23 02:11 PM

Is there any exhaust manifolds that can be turned backwards in an A body with a 6.4L? If I understand right the bolt pattern will need to be re-drilled but I am OK with that.

Ideally I want to move forward and work on a turbo 5.7 or 6.4(preferably) combo for my 68 Barracuda over the next year or more.

Thank you for any information.
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: Exhaust manifolds for Turbo A Body - 03/16/23 06:40 PM

if not mistaken i think it is one or two holes per side not that crazy to do. my son investigated a few years ago.
Posted By: dustaboy74

Re: Exhaust manifolds for Turbo A Body - 03/20/23 03:59 PM

Some people have use the jeep srt exhaust manifolds. You will need to redrill the heads and I used the Lisle exhaust manifold bolt fixture drilling them as it helped align all the holes and get proper depth of them. Was simple and easy to do and I am running the hooker log manifolds flipped forwards. Holley makes some of their blackheart headers that would work well for turbos too.
Posted By: furious70

Re: Exhaust manifolds for Turbo A Body - 03/24/23 03:49 AM

truck manifolds exit almost straight out and would be an option if you drill the 2 holes you need, especially if doing twins. I explored that but for a single turbo in my coronet and then the downpipe down low under the manifold with a oil filter relocation kit and a truck style accessory drive. 4" downpipe was tough though. If you didn't mind wrapping twin downpipes under the K member it'd be easy.
Posted By: mopar65

Re: Exhaust manifolds for Turbo A Body - 04/24/23 03:13 AM

A Guy on Facebook used a set of truck manifolds flipped forward. All he did was weld flanges on the end. But yes I think you have to redrill the center exhaust mount holes. Here is a picture of the turbo/ exhaust mounted in his 71/72 Dodge Dart

Attached picture Screenshot_20230419_001126_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Exhaust manifolds for Turbo A Body - 04/24/23 07:27 PM

What about swapping the heads from side to side? Is that even possible on those motors and heads confused shruggy
Posted By: furious70

Re: Exhaust manifolds for Turbo A Body - 04/25/23 03:47 AM

they are specific side to side but I'm not sure of all the reasons why
© 2024 Moparts Forums