Moparts

NAG1 identification

Posted By: dickdale

NAG1 identification - 09/07/22 11:54 AM

Does anybody have an idea on how to identify a NAG1 transmission?

Most of them have a barcode on the driver side, but I cannot find any information on identifying them.

I know the NAG1 is also called 722.6 / a5w580, but there seems to be a difference between the Mercedes and Chrysler transmission. Trans code for Chrysler is DGJ. There seems to be a diffence between transmission and the last two digits after 722.6XX can give clearance. However I cannot find any number on the transmission itself besides the barcode on the driver side.
Posted By: lowell66dart

Re: NAG1 identification - 09/07/22 12:46 PM

Don't have a clue but a quick search turned this up. Google transmission-sales-code-chart.pdf - Mopar Repair Connect

Re: NAG1 identification - 09/08/22 11:52 AM

thx! But were can I find this on the transmission?
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: NAG1 identification - 09/10/22 04:24 PM

I got this from charger forum

NAG1; W5A580
The transmission can generically be identified by the presence of a round 13-way connector located near the front corner of the transmission oil pan, on the right side. Specific transmission information can be found stamped into a pad, above the oil pan rail, on the left side of the transmission
Posted By: Dart 500

Re: NAG1 identification - 09/10/22 10:57 PM

If you're in Europe its probably from a Mercedes, guys here are giving data from the 05-2014 Mopar ones

They probably had different variations over there, they even used one in the S65 which would not have been a standard one. Regular ones from memory were only rated for around 420~ lb ft of torque

Re: NAG1 identification - 09/23/22 08:55 AM

Found out that a NAG1 from a Chrysler is almost the same as from a MB. The difference is the clutch pack.

The AMG ones have double sided friction plates. The Chrysler ones have single sided plates. The AMG also has Blue Top Shift Solenoids for firmer shifts as the Chrysler has brown top solenoids. And of course the bellhousing is different between both of them.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: NAG1 identification - 10/05/22 10:38 AM

Back in 2010 when I had an SRT Challenger the blue tops were a good upgrade.
© 2024 Moparts Forums