Moparts

Stand alone engine control for VVT engines???

Posted By: HotRodDave

Stand alone engine control for VVT engines??? - 06/25/21 05:10 PM

What is the easiest way to stick a junk yard 5.7 or 6.4 VVT engine into an old muscle car? I have one of each and a customer who wants me to stick one in his 72 road runner. Is there a controller and harness that runs a complete drop out engine? If nothing like that is available yet would an MSD hemi 6 control the coils on a VVT engine with a carb or do I need to swap tone rings and lock cam...?
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Stand alone engine control for VVT engines??? - 06/25/21 07:14 PM

MS3 Pro Evo or Ultimate will do it and still run the VVT. I think they have a plug and play setup also.
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: Stand alone engine control for VVT engines??? - 06/25/21 07:36 PM

Holley Terminator X can control the EFI and VVT. They've got an entire swap kit with harness.
Posted By: Glen440

Re: Stand alone engine control for VVT engines??? - 06/26/21 01:49 PM

If you want easiest, get the mopar kit. If the engines are stock they will run like the factory cars as they have stock tunes. Everything else you need to tune yourself or get someone to do it.
Posted By: furious70

Re: Stand alone engine control for VVT engines??? - 06/28/21 03:04 AM

well, easiest is mopar kit if you have a car engine.
Cheapest is MS3
Holley is a good choice
Posted By: sam64

Re: Stand alone engine control for VVT engines??? - 06/28/21 03:47 PM

The Holley terminator x takes up a lot of real estate because of how the harness is made where it all connects at the controller. Approx. 16x16 inches for controller and coil drivers and so on. I bought the 2013 up for a 2018 5.7 swap and the knock sensor connecters are for the 2005 style sensors it also has some extra harnesses that it doesn't use Tps and Iac.If I was to do it again on a stock engine I would use the Mopar kit.
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Stand alone engine control for VVT engines??? - 06/30/21 09:42 AM

You might like to check out Edelbrock aswell !
Posted By: Cheeto

Re: Stand alone engine control for VVT engines??? - 07/18/21 02:10 AM

"Use the Mopar kit"....does anybody have info on a kit for a 6.1? All I can find is old Google results for 5.7 and 6.4.
I've been waiting over 2 weeks for a response from Holley regarding their stuff and I'd gladly go with Ma Mopar if that is an option.
2008 Charger SRT8 6.1 into 1970 Barracuda (currently 440)
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: Stand alone engine control for VVT engines??? - 07/18/21 02:35 AM

I only think the Mopar kits are for the newer vvt engines. I personally would use the new pro flow 4 kit from edelbrock. Here is a link. https://www.edelbrock.com/pro-flo-4...-gen-iii-hemi-w-tablet-36150-bundle.html
My buddy Dave works for Comp Cams and he says that this is a really nice kit for the money.
Posted By: MattW

Re: Stand alone engine control for VVT engines??? - 07/18/21 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by HotRodDave
What is the easiest way to stick a junk yard 5.7 or 6.4 VVT engine into an old muscle car? I have one of each and a customer who wants me to stick one in his 72 road runner. Is there a controller and harness that runs a complete drop out engine? If nothing like that is available yet would an MSD hemi 6 control the coils on a VVT engine with a carb or do I need to swap tone rings and lock cam...?

Easiest is Holley terminator X
Cheapest is changing the reluctor wheel to an ealier version and run a carb with MSD Hemi 6. ( Don't know why Holley hasn't offered thisfor the 64 tooth as the have it for the LS).

Pick your poison.

Even cheaper way would be to mount a 32 tooth wheel to the Balancer?

Matt
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: Stand alone engine control for VVT engines??? - 07/18/21 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by MattW

Cheapest is changing the reluctor wheel to an ealier version and run a carb with MSD Hemi 6. ( Don't know why Holley hasn't offered thisfor the 64 tooth as the have it for the LS).

Pick your poison.

Matt

64 tooth ?
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: Stand alone engine control for VVT engines??? - 07/18/21 04:45 PM

Stanke VVT plug, it keeps the VVT gear locked with oil Pressure, and doesn't allow it to blead out and let the gear retarded it's self.......which it will with the OEM Solenoid if it's not getting signal.
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: Stand alone engine control for VVT engines??? - 07/20/21 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by hudsonhornet7x
I only think the Mopar kits are for the newer vvt engines. I personally would use the new pro flow 4 kit from edelbrock. Here is a link. https://www.edelbrock.com/pro-flo-4...-gen-iii-hemi-w-tablet-36150-bundle.html
My buddy Dave works for Comp Cams and he says that this is a really nice kit for the money.

"The system is SRV calibrated for 4,800 RPM, also not adjustable." ....from the Edelbrock description of the unit. Does this mean it is rev-limited to 4,800 RPM? I tried to search the meaning of "SRV" as related to auto computers but to no avail.
Posted By: Glen440

Re: Stand alone engine control for VVT engines??? - 07/20/21 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by RTSrunner
Originally Posted by hudsonhornet7x

"The system is SRV calibrated for 4,800 RPM, also not adjustable." ....from the Edelbrock description of the unit. Does this mean it is rev-limited to 4,800 RPM? I tried to search the meaning of "SRV" as related to auto computers but to no avail.

The SRV is the short runner valve, the active intake manifold. It switches from long to short runners at 4800 rpm. There is no benefit to changing that rpm from a dyno test on engine masters. The Holley terminator x efi you can use whatever rpm you want.
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: Stand alone engine control for VVT engines??? - 07/20/21 03:20 PM

The SRV is the short runner valve, the active intake manifold. It switches from long to short runners at 4800 rpm. There is no benefit to changing that rpm from a dyno test on engine masters. The Holley terminator x efi you can use whatever rpm you want. [/quote]

Ok,that makes sense now,Thanks Glen!
Posted By: MattW

Re: Stand alone engine control for VVT engines??? - 07/20/21 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by ric3xrt
Originally Posted by MattW

Pick your poison.

Matt

64 tooth ?

Reluctor wheel late model is 64 ?
© 2024 Moparts Forums