Moparts

Anyone work around a truck 8hp70 oil cooler?

Posted By: furious70

Anyone work around a truck 8hp70 oil cooler? - 04/17/21 07:58 PM

Only have photos, haven't seen in person. Is the oil cooler really in the way requiring additional tunnel work?
Does anyone know if it can be remote mounted?
Car vs truck pictured

Attached picture 8hp70_01.jpg
Attached picture 8hp70_truck_01.jpg
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Anyone work around a truck 8hp70 oil cooler? - 04/18/21 12:58 AM

Judging by pics posted, I would almost guarantee that the coolers are a bolt on deal, but there is a sensor looking thingy directly behind the cooler in between the mount ears that has me perplexed without seeing in person. I'm not thinking they are going to make 2 versions of that trans for cars and a different for trucks because of costs, but I've been wrong before.

Edit: after looking at a few on the web, it looks like the truck trans body is slightly different at the cooler location....
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: Anyone work around a truck 8hp70 oil cooler? - 04/19/21 04:03 PM

On line google search looks like there are some companies making fittings for bypass and remote pump. but not sure how tall or what the standoff is from the trans. worth doing the search to see what's out there, I do not know anyone who has done it.
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: Anyone work around a truck 8hp70 oil cooler? - 04/19/21 04:37 PM

Hi Furious, I am seeing that the box could be a fluid heater, not a cooler. They were talking about that over on FB. Sound German Automotive supposedly sells a "heater bypass block" for them and then you can run lines to the radiator for a cooler.

Attached picture 8hp70 heater block off.jpg
Posted By: furious70

Re: Anyone work around a truck 8hp70 oil cooler? - 04/20/21 01:11 AM

A heater, I wouldn't have thought that! I need to call Russel up and talk to him I guess.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Anyone work around a truck 8hp70 oil cooler? - 04/20/21 07:41 PM

I think we should call it a transmission temperature stabilizer, it heats the trans when it's cold and cools it when hot.
Posted By: sam64

Re: Anyone work around a truck 8hp70 oil cooler? - 05/01/21 02:31 PM

That heater/cooler mounts using rubber coated tubes that seal into machined bores in trans. and heater/cooler.I just took a 2.5x 3 " chunk of aluminum and machined for the tubes on 1 side and tapped the other for pipe threads.Then attached with one of the factory studs for the heater/cooler.
© 2024 Moparts Forums