Moparts

Timing light on a gen 3 hemi

Posted By: biff426

Timing light on a gen 3 hemi - 02/12/20 04:04 AM

Is there any reason a conventional timing light could not be used on a gen 3? I made a pointer and put old school timing tape on the balancer. TDC is exactly marked on the balancer. It "appears" no matter how I set the XIM I have 32 degrees of total timing. Does anyone know if picking up the signal from the coil primary wires would give a false reading?
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Timing light on a gen 3 hemi - 02/12/20 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by biff426
Is there any reason a conventional timing light could not be used on a gen 3? I made a pointer and put old school timing tape on the balancer. TDC is exactly marked on the balancer. It "appears" no matter how I set the XIM I have 32 degrees of total timing. Does anyone know if picking up the signal from the coil primary wires would give a false reading?

Should work just fine as long as you have typical sequential spark and not waste spark or something.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Timing light on a gen 3 hemi - 02/12/20 05:40 PM

Even a waste spark should light up at the same degrees just on the exhaust stroke butt it should light up the balancer the same. If you can't trigger it with the primary side you could get an 03-04 coil and adapter than run the timing light off one leg of the coil grounded out with a dummy plug or something.

Re: Timing light on a gen 3 hemi - 02/12/20 06:19 PM

This is what I thought. The problem is I marked the balancer …...I am 100% sure it is marked at TDC. I made a pointer and checked the timing. No matter where I set the XIM box it shows 32 degrees of timing. I had a buddy send his XIM box and it does the same thing. So now I am not sure what I have here. I am using an MSD timing light. I really just want to verify the timing on this thing it is a siple cam and crank sensor with a carb but I know 32 degrees is about 10 degrees too much.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Timing light on a gen 3 hemi - 02/12/20 10:43 PM

My MS3X has an option for "Fixed timing" or "Use Table" if fixed timing is selected changes to the table don't do a thing. Does the Fast have anything like this that could be accidentally selected?

Re: Timing light on a gen 3 hemi - 02/13/20 01:07 AM

No this thing is like the stone ages. No Support from FAST their answer is send it back we will test it. I explained I tried 2 different boxes same software version and it did the same thing. They talk to you like your stupid. I'm putting an MSD on it and either Summit is taking this junk back or I'm calling my credit card and forcing a credit.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Timing light on a gen 3 hemi - 02/13/20 04:51 AM

Give Mopar_Rich a call.

http://www.fastmanefi.com/

Kevin

Re: Timing light on a gen 3 hemi - 02/13/20 09:00 PM

Thanks Kevin I called and spoke to Rich. Unfortunately he didn't have any ideas. I am at a loss.
© 2024 Moparts Forums