Moparts

wix oil filter for 5.7 Ram

Posted By: MattW

wix oil filter for 5.7 Ram - 02/08/20 06:10 PM

Is there ever been a recall for the XP filters?
Just changed my oil filter and notice the old one was leaking and now after a week the new on is leaking.
Bought 20 of them through filter ONE.
NO the old rubber is not stuck to the block and nothing else is leaking.
It is -20 celsius here and i will wait till the engine is cold and check again. Higher oil pressure.
Matt

Re: wix oil filter for 5.7 Ram - 02/08/20 09:33 PM

So I went outside and started the truck again and no leak. So i will try again in the morning when I know its cold.
Did some research and MAYBE I did not tighten it enough. Gave it another half turn.
Matt

Re: wix oil filter for 5.7 Ram - 02/09/20 10:07 PM

Started it this morning, -27 Celsius outside, and it leaked. Not at the seam but from the gasket, at least thats what I could tell. It only happens at start up. Once warm it goes away
Anyways another 1/2 turn and I hope this will works!
Matt
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: wix oil filter for 5.7 Ram - 02/09/20 10:51 PM

I use mopar filters on my 2014 5.7. They don`t leak but they always felt loose when I go to change the oil. I tighten them extra from now on. They are never hard to remove even with the extra tightening. Never really figured it out.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: wix oil filter for 5.7 Ram - 02/10/20 05:33 PM

Any way to measure the actual oil pressure at startup? There might be higher than normal pressure that is simply overwhelming the gasket.
Posted By: Uberpube

Re: wix oil filter for 5.7 Ram - 02/10/20 06:31 PM

I always used wix on my Cummins, but probably the last 4 or so have been leaking, seems to be from the crimp.

Re: wix oil filter for 5.7 Ram - 02/11/20 11:33 PM

Maybe they went with a harder type gasket? shruggy

Re: wix oil filter for 5.7 Ram - 02/12/20 12:04 AM

Can't be that high.
Using 5w20 syn.
Matt

Re: wix oil filter for 5.7 Ram - 02/15/20 02:50 AM

Still leaking but now but it is just wet. Nowhere near the amount before.
Once again no leak when warm.
Will turn it another half a turn.

Re: wix oil filter for 5.7 Ram - 03/05/20 11:09 PM

So the cold weather is gone and no more leak. I tighten it some more and it seemed to work.
Been changing filters for decades and this is by far the tightest i've ever did a filter.
Fram filters, which IMO are garbage, never had this issue. They leaked, but from the seam not the gasket.
I MAY try a fram filter gasket on the Wix filter and see what happens next winter..
STAY tuned LOL
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: wix oil filter for 5.7 Ram - 03/05/20 11:12 PM

Put a mopar filter on it and be done with it.

Re: wix oil filter for 5.7 Ram - 01/25/21 12:03 AM

So again minus 18 degrees Celsius and just had the oil changed at a garage. Started it this morning and dripping until it warms up.
So 1/2 a turn more .
I'm a cause and affect type. Calling Wix tomorrow to see whats up.
For me the rubber gasket is too hard of a material.
Well.see.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: wix oil filter for 5.7 Ram - 01/25/21 12:14 PM

I bought a wix for my 08 Ram through filter one and the threads were wrong. Everything I have purchased from them has been right except for that one unit(I only bought 1). They refunded my money no questions asked if I remember right. Its been several years and I have since sold that truck.
Posted By: sam64

Re: wix oil filter for 5.7 Ram - 01/26/21 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by mopars4ever
Put a mopar filter on it and be done with it.
I have had the Mopar filters leak too I do my own oil changes and I know they were tight when installed. And I run the 899 instead of the lawn mower filter so I get a good grip on it !

Re: wix oil filter for 5.7 Ram - 02/04/21 11:23 PM

-27 a couple of nights ago and no more leak.IMO NO way it should require that much.
Call Wix and asked if anyone else had this issue or if the changed the specs of the rubber gasket. They said no to both.
Once again just an issue when really cold. When It is warm out the hand tight works.
Oh well, just have to remember when I use to ask how tight he wanted something on a car.
"As tight as you can and 3 more turns."
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: wix oil filter for 5.7 Ram - 02/05/21 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by MattW
-27 a couple of nights ago and no more leak.IMO NO way it should require that much.
Call Wix and asked if anyone else had this issue or if the changed the specs of the rubber gasket. They said no to both.
Once again just an issue when really cold. When It is warm out the hand tight works.
Oh well, just have to remember when I use to ask how tight he wanted something on a car.

You need to check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. I suspect to much. If Wix filters were a problem on the 5.7 it would be a well known problem in cold weather areas. One filter maybe that many start looking for the problem.

Re: wix oil filter for 5.7 Ram - 02/05/21 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by NITROUSN
Originally Posted by MattW

You need to check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. I suspect to much. If Wix filters were a problem on the 5.7 it would be a well known problem in cold weather areas. One filter maybe that many start looking for the problem.

I take it you are referring to the oil pump? If so then it would leak all the time.
IMO it is not the oil 5w20 Syn.
It does not do it in the summer.
Only when really cold.
As mentioned before i will replace the rubber gasket with another rubber gasket from a different company to see if it is the gasket. Unfortunately I will have to wait a year.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: wix oil filter for 5.7 Ram - 02/05/21 03:47 PM

I take it you are referring to the oil pump? If so then it would leak all the time.
IMO it is not the oil 5w20 Syn.
It does not do it in the summer.
Only when really cold.
As mentioned before i will replace the rubber gasket with another rubber gasket from a different company to see if it is the gasket. Unfortunately I will have to wait a year.

I guess you really do not want to find out the cause. Pump is going to make more pressure when cold no mater what oil you use. The pumps pressure changes with heat and oil thinning. It would leak all the time so forget that theory. The oil you use does not matter so forget that theory. If the filters were defective and poor or hard gaskets everyone in cold climates would have that problem which they don't so forget that theory. Reason it quits is heat and expansion causing a better seal and pressure drop. A pressure test will tell the story.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: wix oil filter for 5.7 Ram - 02/06/21 04:48 PM

I used to always buy WIX because everyone said they were good. Then I saw that comprehensive study on filters that someone posted here. It rated K&N, Amsoil and Mobil1 filters at the top, so I've been K&N because they are available at local parts stores. Yeah, a few bucks more but so what. Not looking to save a couple dollars in this area, and never had any issues of any kind.
© 2024 Moparts Forums