Moparts

What do you bolt to for pulling out a gen III

Posted By: furious70

What do you bolt to for pulling out a gen III - 01/22/20 04:03 AM

and can it handle the weight of the trans being attached? I took the intake off and used the 2 bolt holes under there to put the engine on the stand to change oil pans and such, but are those 2 holes strong enough to use to stab the engine and a 727 into a car?

I found some kind of bracket that bolts to those 2 bolts plus something in the front and back, is that the right deal (would work on short block)?
https://www.reillymotorsports.com/3rd-gen-hemi-lift-bracket.html

or these (only works on long block?
https://www.powergridinc.com/hemi/
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: What do you bolt to for pulling out a gen III - 01/22/20 01:20 PM

Here's what I made up to pull the 5.7 out of a 2004 Durango 4wd.

The engine is set so far back under the cowl on the Durango's that it has to be really short the tab on the top of it literally goes into the engine hoist/cherry picker.
The metric bolts are about 5/16th diameter so I wanted at least 4 holding it to the engine.
I made it up on a core engine that I had on an engine.

When I swapped the V-10 in my 99 Ram 4 5/16th bolts in the intake to support it.

In the Ram assembly plant they used 2 of the bellhousing bolts to support the engine/trans/transfer case as it moved down the line in the engine building and put everything on it until it was eventually dropped into the frame. At least a quarter mile of hanging by the two bolts.

Attached picture IMG_3182.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3183.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3184.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3185.JPG
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: What do you bolt to for pulling out a gen III - 01/22/20 10:11 PM

I normally don't like to pull on intake bolts, even less on these heads vs standard big block intake carb bolts. Everyone does it, myself included, but that's a lot of weight on those aluminum threads.

I made an angle iron attachment that bolts to the valley holes. It's into steel and the holes accept a larger bolt. I think this is how the factory fixture attached, but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Attached picture Screenshot_20200122-171004.png
Attached picture Screenshot_20200122-171012.png
Posted By: furious70

Re: What do you bolt to for pulling out a gen III - 01/22/20 10:46 PM

I used just those 2 bolts in parallel to jack it up to put it on a stand (was on a pallet up until that point so didn't have to worry). I like the idea of that little fixture to get to a 3rd. I agree, the intake bolts look so spindly and into AL I was really uncomfortable using them.
Posted By: BANDIT

Re: What do you bolt to for pulling out a gen III - 01/23/20 03:49 PM

I made 2 end pieces for my adjustable picker, the one with a threadable slide, 2 bolts in valley and 2 bolts up on timing cover. Different year engines take some modification of front mount, bit it’s doable. Used it on an ‘07, ‘09 and a ‘14 so far. The adjustable part is nice for doing it by itself or with tranny on. I’ll see if I can post a picture of it. Jim
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: What do you bolt to for pulling out a gen III - 01/25/20 05:37 PM

https://www.reillymotorsports.com/3rd-gen-hemi-lift-bracket.html?category_id=277
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: What do you bolt to for pulling out a gen III - 01/28/20 02:32 AM

This is what I based my design off of, for 1/10th the price. I just used a screw balancer attached to my bracket and then to that upper cover mount. You can sorta see it here

Attached picture IMG_20191102_115036275.jpg
Posted By: BANDIT

Re: What do you bolt to for pulling out a gen III - 01/28/20 02:34 PM

Not a good picture, but you get the idea.

Attached picture 2049D9EF-D7D3-4342-8721-8E9EDD98EF3A.jpeg
© 2024 Moparts Forums