Moparts

Engine smoke

Posted By: rattler

Engine smoke - 01/04/20 11:45 PM

My 5.7 hemi swap has me puzzled. The engine doesn't smoke at all on startup,but once it comes up to temp, it starts smoking out the left bank. I never saw this engine run before the swap. I replaced the heads and one piston/rings due to two dropped valve seats. The cylinder walls in all cylinders looked great with some factory crosshatch still visible. I also have a miss, but how do you find it in a computer controlled engine? Will a scan tool tell me witch cylinder is not firing? I don't have much experience trouble shooting computer controls. Help.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Engine smoke - 01/05/20 01:05 PM

Unplug injectors while it is running, see which one doesn't make a difference. You can do the same with the coils with no worries of getting lit up lol.
Posted By: iapco103

Re: Engine smoke - 01/05/20 08:03 PM

smoke? or steam? correct diagnosis will depend on what is coming out the tailpipe. Paul
Posted By: rattler

Re: Engine smoke - 01/05/20 10:16 PM

Well, I found the cause of the miss. I made a rookie mistake on this engine. Number 3 intake pushrods was not in the rocker pocket. I ran a compression test and was surprised to see no compression in that cylinder. Pulled the valve cover and found my mistake. The smoke started clearing up after it ran for a few minutes. But, I think I might have thrown the computer into limp mode. Ranking it with the coil packs laying on the intake while I was cranking it to check compression. Starts fine, but doesn't want to rev over 1200 rpm now. I'll deal with that tomorrow.
© 2024 Moparts Forums