Moparts

6.1 crank toner ring

Posted By: Stewart

6.1 crank toner ring - 12/22/19 03:26 AM

I have started putting one of the Mclaren 305 Gen 3 engines together and have hit a snag. The Bryant crank has 4 holes to mount the crank position ring but the 6.1 rings I have don't fit. Bolt circle is off. I called Bryant and they had all the info on the crank from 2006 except what I need. They were very helpful and searched all the info they had It called out 4 bolt holes but no info on dimensions. Anyone know of a ring other than the 6.1 for the gen 3 with 4 bolts? This is 1 oddball crank.
Posted By: fbs63

Re: 6.1 crank toner ring - 12/22/19 01:42 PM

Try Molnar. They sell toner rings. Worse case they may sell you a blank to drill the bolt circle you need.
Posted By: Hemijoejr2

Re: 6.1 crank toner ring - 12/23/19 05:10 AM

I wish I knew. I have block MCI 003 but bought just the bare block.

Re: 6.1 crank toner ring - 12/23/19 03:23 PM

Joe
The block is an odd ball too. I have 2 but I have the Bryant cranks and Carillo rods too. The blocks are cut for 1.06 lifter bushings. Also cut for roller cam bearings. The crank is built with a snout for a chevy ATI damper with belt drive for external oil pump. No provision on the crank for the oil pump drive. The block and crank are machined for chevy LS mains. That means a Gen 3 crank will nor fit. They did that to get the full 360 degree thrust bearing on #3 so the journals are different diameters and the block and cap have been cut to get the LS thrust in. There were 5 of these setups so somewhere is a crank that won't fit anything since you have the block.
Posted By: Hemijoejr2

Re: 6.1 crank toner ring - 12/23/19 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Stewart
Joe
The block is an odd ball too. I have 2 but I have the Bryant cranks and Carillo rods too. The blocks are cut for 1.06 lifter bushings. Also cut for roller cam bearings. The crank is built with a snout for a chevy ATI damper with belt drive for external oil pump. No provision on the crank for the oil pump drive. The block and crank are machined for chevy LS mains. That means a Gen 3 crank will nor fit. They did that to get the full 360 degree thrust bearing on #3 so the journals are different diameters and the block and cap have been cut to get the LS thrust in. There were 5 of these setups so somewhere is a crank that won't fit anything since you have the block.
Yup, I checked everything out already. 4.080” bore with LS main bearings, the roller cam bearings, and lifter bushings. It’s a neat piece, that’s for sure. I’m probably going to bag it up and put it under the bench until I figure out if I want to spend the dough to have a crank made or have a new crankshaft all welded up in order to use it.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: 6.1 crank toner ring - 12/23/19 07:52 PM

Does an LS use a similar tone wheel arrangement? If they liked LS main bearings...

Kevin
Posted By: Ray408G3Hemi

Re: 6.1 crank toner ring - 12/24/19 01:25 AM

Yes, try a LS tone wheel......any one want to sell one of these Odd ball blocks ?

Re: 6.1 crank toner ring - 12/24/19 03:30 AM

The LS tone ring doesn't bolt on. Think it is heated and pressed on the rear of the crank. May have to buy one and try to see if somehow it fits. If the crank was made to press fit the ring don't know why they would have put the 4 bolt holes in but worth a try.
© 2024 Moparts Forums