Moparts

Do you prefer boosted or stroked?

Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Do you prefer boosted or stroked? - 09/10/19 02:30 PM

For those of you who have done the hemi swap thing, do you guys prefer a boosted setup or a cammed stroker? I have a very good friend who needs advice so I thought I would ask here. He has the choice of a hellcat type engine that is fuel injected, etc. or a 426 stroker with thitek heads, big cam. At the moment he is unsure. I am not aware of et goals, etc. Just a musclecar engine. He has a 68 Bee, with a 727.

I understand the personalities of each engine will be very different.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Do you prefer boosted or stroked? - 09/10/19 04:29 PM

Add a poll, I love strokers, lot less complicated under the hood, that is one of the biggest reasons I like to work on old cars.

Re: Do you prefer boosted or stroked? - 09/10/19 05:32 PM

I will add a poll. Never thought of that. I am just a little bit more computer literate than my buddy, so I got the job asking this question!

Re: Do you prefer boosted or stroked? - 09/10/19 05:45 PM

Well it's probably me, but I don't see where I can add a poll.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Do you prefer boosted or stroked? - 09/10/19 05:59 PM

I think that adding a poll has to be done in the original post, maybe even when it's first posted.

If you go to edit the original post it may show as an option.

Re: Do you prefer boosted or stroked? - 09/10/19 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by SNK-EYZ
I think that adding a poll has to be done in the original post, maybe even when it's first posted.

If you go to edit the original post it may show as an option.

Thanks, I just tried it and could not get it to work. Probably me.
Posted By: Dart451

Re: Do you prefer boosted or stroked? - 09/10/19 09:06 PM

Lot depends on final goal. Driving around and having fun I love my twin screw boosted engine (Viper v10 with roe supercharger) Love the simplicity of my big block mopar, but considering changing one for efi hellcat combo.
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Do you prefer boosted or stroked? - 09/11/19 10:03 PM

I’d pick the boosted engine, hp for hp it’ll be more docile, get better mileage, longer lasting, way more low/midrange and if you want more hp, change a pulley
Posted By: Suregrip

Re: Do you prefer boosted or stroked? - 09/20/19 06:15 PM

I stroked my 6.1L (370) to 7.2L (440 cu), makes 600hp est at crank (515 rwhp and 525 rwtq on dyno), could have made more with super-charger but would have cost and additional $8K for super-charger, stroking was less money for similar numbers on a full rebuild...
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Do you prefer boosted or stroked? - 09/20/19 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Suregrip
I stroked my 6.1L (370) to 7.2L (440 cu), makes lots of horsepower (525 rwhp on dyno) and torque, could have made more with super-charger but would have cost and additional $8K, stroking was less money for similar numbers on a full rebuild...

Would you share any basic build info?
Bore, stroke, etc.

Hows the drive-ability?

Was tuning it any problem?
Posted By: ghinmi

Re: Do you prefer boosted or stroked? - 09/20/19 11:36 PM

Boosted is definitely the way to go. Turbo can be done cheap if you can weld. I made good power with a stock 5.7 and a turbo.
Posted By: Uberpube

Re: Do you prefer boosted or stroked? - 09/21/19 01:17 PM

Since I bought a 6.1 core with spun mains, I'm stroking this engine to a 410, and also supercharging because I live at 3900 feet of altitude.
Posted By: Ray408G3Hemi

Re: Do you prefer boosted or stroked? - 09/22/19 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Uberpube
Since I bought a 6.1 core with spun mains, I'm stroking this engine to a 410, and also supercharging because I live at 3900 feet of altitude.

Smart move.
Posted By: Ray408G3Hemi

Re: Do you prefer boosted or stroked? - 09/22/19 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by hudsonhornet7x
For those of you who have done the hemi swap thing, do you guys prefer a boosted setup or a cammed stroker? I have a very good friend who needs advice so I thought I would ask here. He has the choice of a hellcat type engine that is fuel injected, etc. or a 426 stroker with thitek heads, big cam. At the moment he is unsure. I am not aware of et goals, etc. Just a musclecar engine. He has a 68 Bee, with a 727.

I understand the personalities of each engine will be very different.

I think it depends on your (his goals) My 01 Lighting is twin turbo, it sucks on the street, once it winds up I have to lay on the brakes. My Demon is Fun better all round street car , it's all power all the time.......but Imyself get my biggest kick out of the 2010 Challenger with the stroked 5.7 , it's great daily, not bad on fuel . just enough push back in the seat but not enough to have to panic stop all the time.
All out track car.....Turbo is the way to go unless you have to have that top Fuel look......but nothing says King of the street like a blown Hemi..
Posted By: Quickrunner

Re: Do you prefer boosted or stroked? - 09/25/19 09:02 PM

I chose both, I'm sure I will be more than satisfied with the end results. drive

Attached picture plate2.jpg
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: Do you prefer boosted or stroked? - 09/27/19 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Quickrunner
I chose both, I'm sure I will be more than satisfied with the end results. drive

Well that looks stout!!
Posted By: mopar_man619

Re: Do you prefer boosted or stroked? - 10/17/19 06:55 AM

WOW!!!
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Do you prefer boosted or stroked? - 11/29/19 03:47 AM

There is NO comparison on final power output.

A stroker only adds some torque and moves the powerband down a bit.
Boost can usually double the power output. If the bottom end is strong, most turbo cars will more than triple. No increase in stroke will do that.
© 2024 Moparts Forums