Moparts

best bang for buck on G3 hemi swap motor?

Posted By: ogopogo

best bang for buck on G3 hemi swap motor? - 12/07/18 07:42 AM

looking for a gen 3 to swap into a 70 challenger,pretty much sure Im going to use the nag1 trans but too many options on engines...... this is for a city and highway cruiser,not a race car.it needs to be reliable,get decent mileage and be capable of doing a decent brakestand/slash burnout once in a while.
I can buy all kinds of 07ish era 5.7s for dirt cheap($1000) or 2014 400hp truck 5.7 for 3k or 2016 truck 6.4 for 4k ish and then 6.1 car engines around 4k as well,no idea really which way to go with this.....6.4 car engines are out there as well but more money and tougher to find locally....
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: best bang for buck on G3 hemi swap motor? - 12/07/18 02:19 PM

As much as I avoid the 6.1s I think it's your best bet for "buy and drop in" if you can get a good one for 4K or less. it gives you room to "expand" Cams are cheap (relatively speaking) it's has good intake to start with if your staying EFI .
Next would be the 6.4 or 5.7 Eagle(09+) both respond well to a 6.4SRT MDS cam swap ( Cam is still only $68-89.00 usd) lock out the cam phaser and your good to go. if you can find a SRT392 engine in your budget window, great but don't lose any sleep over not buying it....you can do just as good with a 6.4 truck engine...just add camshaft.
03-08 5.7 would be my last choice for Buy and Drop in...but my 1st choice for a good builder engine.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: best bang for buck on G3 hemi swap motor? - 12/07/18 07:58 PM

Around here the eagle 5.7s are cheaper than the earlier ones. I bought 2 different 2012 5.7s, one had 5k other 34k miles and paid 1k for one and 900 for the other. The earlier 5.7s are 1500 with 100k miles. One thing is the electronics you'll use. I thought I read here some don't work with the reluctor with 58 teeth. I run ms3 gold boxes, so they are all I really know.
Posted By: Moparmal

Re: best bang for buck on G3 hemi swap motor? - 12/08/18 03:44 AM

Assuming you’re running EFI, an Apache/Eagle can be controlled easily with the MP plug and play system - but still budget for a proper tune.

6.1 you can use the MS3. Again, budget for a proper tune.

Operating the factory trans will be more of a headache than the engine operating system.

The only way to operate a NAG trans is to go with a Sound German Automotive controller.

So ultimately the cubes will give you the bang, depending on the bucks you spend.

This advice is based on using a factory spec drop-in motor. If you’re going to rebuild the motor, cam, heads etc...it’s a whole different ball game
Posted By: ogopogo

Re: best bang for buck on G3 hemi swap motor? - 12/08/18 07:06 PM

for sure we want efi and i would prefer to leave the engine stock.Im leaning towards a 2017 5.7 truck mtr with 20k miles on it for $3k at this point,,,,no idea what I need to change or remove from the truck engine if anything to make it work though
Posted By: johnscudashop

Re: best bang for buck on G3 hemi swap motor? - 12/08/18 09:22 PM

Probably wont be able to use the Mopar ECU, On the Ram 5.7 some of the electrical connectors are in different spots, the Cam is different from the LX because of the active intake, after taling to chris at hot wire, he has a plug n play set up for use with the DBW TB
for the 58 tooth tone ring hemis

Posted By: Dragula

Re: best bang for buck on G3 hemi swap motor? - 12/09/18 03:25 AM

Best option I have seen:

https://www.racingjunk.com/Other/1831217...amp;from=search
© 2024 Moparts Forums