Moparts

Main Studs for Mopar Aluminum block

Posted By: ntstlgl1970

Main Studs for Mopar Aluminum block - 10/01/18 08:53 PM

Looking for specs on the main studs for the aluminum block. Thread pitch, length etc. specifically for the oil pump pickup stud. My engine came with studs, but has a stock bolt for the oil pump. I already talked to ARP and they said their stud is not long enough to fully engage the all the threads on the aluminum block. I also talked to Arrow/Prefix and they did not respond to my repeated emails and questions. Looking for specs to find another stud from another engine maybe? LS etc. ?!?

My motor is at the machine shop and this is holding it up....

Thanks
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Main Studs for Mopar Aluminum block - 10/02/18 09:33 PM

shruggy

Attached picture Screenshot_2018-10-02-15-32-05.png

Re: Main Studs for Mopar Aluminum block - 10/03/18 04:20 AM

Cool, thank you. I’ll try calling him tomorrow.
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: Main Studs for Mopar Aluminum block - 10/03/18 04:30 AM

Unless I am mistaken his name is Rick Talbot.
Posted By: Stewart

Re: Main Studs for Mopar Aluminum block - 10/04/18 04:39 AM

I have the same problem. Do you have one of the Mclaren blocks? The studs have no name on them and are 7/16x20 on one end and 12x1.75 on the other. ARP doesn't have them but told me an AUF-6.000-1B is the pick-up stud. Could be the guy that told me that didn't know they were too short. I have never gotten a reply from Arrow/prefix.
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: Main Studs for Mopar Aluminum block - 10/04/18 03:14 PM

Hey Eric,

I emailed Prefix for you for the #3 main cap oil pick up stud,
waiting on their reply.

Re: Main Studs for Mopar Aluminum block - 10/07/18 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By hudsonhornet7x
Unless I am mistaken his name is Rick Talbot.

Correct. I need to correct that in my phone

Re: Main Studs for Mopar Aluminum block - 10/09/18 05:05 PM

Eric,

Dale Matthews emailed me back just now and they have the oil pick up stand off available. It goes on top of the main cap stud same as in my engine

What is your zipcode for shipping?

They are $13.21 email RylisPro@gmail.com to order

Thanks!

Re: Main Studs for Mopar Aluminum block - 10/09/18 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By RylisPro
Eric,

Dale Matthews emailed me back just now and they have the oil pick up stand off available. It goes on top of the main cap stud same as in my engine

What is your zipcode for shipping?

They are $13.21 email RylisPro@gmail.com to order

Thanks!

Just sent you $30. Send me 2 of them

Re: Main Studs for Mopar Aluminum block - 10/09/18 11:40 PM

Hey Eric & Ray,
I emailed Prefix on shipping quotes for your respective address. Will get a reply from them tomorrow.

If anyone else needs parts from Prefix email us your shipping address at RylisPro@gmail.com for a quote.

Thanks!

Re: Main Studs for Mopar Aluminum block - 10/10/18 04:44 AM

Are the studs available and are they 12x1.75 by 7/16x20 and are the standoffs 7/16 where they fit the stud?

Re: Main Studs for Mopar Aluminum block - 10/10/18 05:35 AM

I'm not sure if the aluminum block main studs are available separately from the block?

The #2, #3 and #4 main caps utilize a vertical 4 bolt mounting structure for added strength. All of the 5 main caps utilize the production cross bolts.
J 80-01-0001 M8 X 1.25 X 35 HEX FLANGE HD qty. of 10

Also the main studs and caps are a unique size for the aluminum 6.1 block casting. These will NOT fit any production cast iron cylinder block. I am pretty sure the 16 main studs and part numbers are:

H 80-03-0002 STUD - 7/16 BOTH ENDS - SHORT qty. of 6
G 80-03-0001 STUD - 7/16 BOTH ENDS - LONG qty. of 10

on the instructions .pdf and will have to email Prefix to confirm.

Re: Main Studs for Mopar Aluminum block - 10/10/18 06:02 AM

Here are some cool schematics on the 6.1 aluminum block if anyone needs them.
Pay attention to the torque sequence for the main studs and cross bolts along with the increasing torque per fastener.

Re: Main Studs for Mopar Aluminum block - 10/11/18 04:02 AM

My blocks are different. I have 4 bolts + side bolts on all 5 caps with one end metric and 1 end Std.

Re: Main Studs for Mopar Aluminum block - 10/11/18 06:26 AM

Hey Stewart,
You have a couple of McLaren blocks don't you? Those are different than the 6.1 Gen 3 aluminum blocks obviously.

If your main cap studs have the metric ends that go into the block and the 7/16 end that holds down the main cap, I'm thinking that the oil pick up stand off may work if you modify it with a 7/16-20 fine thread helicoil maybe?

Unfortunately the main studs on our 6.1 aluminum block looks like they are 7/16-14 coarse thread.

There is no way that is a fine thread. You can see the oil pick up stand off in the background.

I had forgotten to email Prefix until the last minute today haha I'm still out of town.
Awaiting their reply.
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: Main Studs for Mopar Aluminum block - 10/11/18 10:33 AM

might want to look in to these , won't help with the pick up tube.
ARP Chevrolet Small Block LS/WP Warhawk LS aluminum block
Kit #:134-5802

Re: Main Studs for Mopar Aluminum block - 10/11/18 04:01 PM

Hey Eric,

Prefix got back to me they have the main stud in hand which looks to be like a 7/16-14 coarse thread on both ends. I had asked for the specs but they didn't respond with detailed info?

They are $10 bucks each and I had them ship one to you via the cheapest way possible. I'll send you an invoice but don't worry about it right now. I would rather have you pay me in person at the Spring Fling Speed Festival at Big Willow in April 2019 haha!

If anyone else needs one please email us your zipcode.
Thanks!
Posted By: johnscudashop

Re: Main Studs for Mopar Aluminum block - 10/11/18 06:54 PM

I wish Arrow had these avail back in 2010 when I bought my Aluminum crate hemi.. I ended up making some stand offs for mine.. One thing I noticed. When I saw sixpackgut (Ray's) block the other day, I only saw 3 or 4 threads sticking out above the stud nut. I remember mine had alot more Threads above the main cap nut

Re: Main Studs for Mopar Aluminum block - 10/11/18 07:38 PM

Here is the part number and specs on the invoice for the main stud that got sent out to ntstlgl1970

Part # 80-03-0001
STUD; MJ12X.4375X4.452 190 4340, 190 KSI MIN, BLACK OXIDE FINISH. STUD-MAIN CAP LONG

Re: Main Studs for Mopar Aluminum block - 10/11/18 09:50 PM

Don't know what I was thinking when I said all 5 caps were 4 bolt, only 2,3 and 4. No wait, it was not me. I was hacked, ya thats what happened, I would never make that mistake. Think i will order the pickup stud from the 5.7 ARP kit and see I can get it to work it works.

PS. It was me.

Re: Main Studs for Mopar Aluminum block - 10/13/18 07:40 PM

Thanks Ariel and sixpackgut,

Should have my engine back on track next week. Looking forward to see what these new heads will do for me
© 2024 Moparts Forums