Moparts

I hope this can be fixed but probably not:

Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

I hope this can be fixed but probably not: - 12/16/17 09:09 PM

Got a cast iron block, new. It dropped the other day and broke a cylinder head mount hole. Is there any way this can be fixed or do I have a large paperweight now? The pic is not my block but I have circled the area that broke. I do have the piece that came off, broke right down the middle of where the cylinder head bolt would go.

Thanks for any advice.

Attached picture hemi_57_engine3.jpg
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: I hope this can be fixed but probably not: - 12/16/17 10:02 PM

What's the build?
That spot that you have circled , only has coolant pressure to deal with .I my self am crazy enough to JB weld the broken piece re tap it and roll the dice.....If it were an engine I was building for someone else, I wouldn't take the chance.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: I hope this can be fixed but probably not: - 12/17/17 03:24 AM

I have cast iron plates for my press. Someone was using my press and broke one!!! I mig welded it. Its been holding up fine but I think a machine shop can fix it
Posted By: EchoSixMike

Re: I hope this can be fixed but probably not: - 12/17/17 04:37 AM

Have it brazed, no big deal. S/F...Ken M
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: I hope this can be fixed but probably not: - 12/17/17 04:38 AM

Originally Posted By ric3xrt
What's the build?
That spot that you have circled , only has coolant pressure to deal with .I my self am crazy enough to JB weld the broken piece re tap it and roll the dice.....If it were an engine I was building for someone else, I wouldn't take the chance.

Agreed, I'd try to make something work there. Just make sure it's flat without messing up any other sealing surfaces. The M8[?] bolt torque there is fairly low.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: I hope this can be fixed but probably not: - 12/18/17 11:22 PM

It is a relatively meaningless bolt. It's not involved in locking cylinder pressure in, so I'm with the crowd that says "braze it". Get with a pro. I think it's really called furnace brazing, what I'm thinking of.

R.
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: I hope this can be fixed but probably not: - 12/19/17 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By ric3xrt
What's the build?
That spot that you have circled , only has coolant pressure to deal with .I my self am crazy enough to JB weld the broken piece re tap it and roll the dice.....If it were an engine I was building for someone else, I wouldn't take the chance, I would have it brazed

I edited this because I thought I finished my thought,
Posted By: Medlock51

Re: I hope this can be fixed but probably not: - 12/21/17 10:40 PM

Get it welded...
Posted By: EchoSixMike

Re: I hope this can be fixed but probably not: - 12/23/17 05:10 AM

Welding cast iron often generates more problems than it fixes, unless you have competent professionals do it, and they charge for it. Call a diesel repair shop and get an estimate. Not some back alley hatchet shop either, a decent Cummins/Cat/Inland Diesel etc shop.

Like I said, get it brazed, generally a phosphor bronze process, it'll be plenty strong and won't have a bunch of hardness/induced stress issues like if someone hacked at arc welding it with nickel rod. S/F....Ken M
Posted By: 5280Dart

Re: I hope this can be fixed but probably not: - 12/24/17 07:39 AM

Another possible solution

http://www.locknstitch.com/index.html

Re: I hope this can be fixed but probably not: - 12/26/17 06:23 PM

It can be spray welded... and there are special rods that can be used. Dirty casting are common with cast iron but thet Hemi shouldnt have that problem.

Re: I hope this can be fixed but probably not: - 12/26/17 06:45 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K85MH9Z5FPU

Re: I hope this can be fixed but probably not: - 12/26/17 07:41 PM

Thank you all for the replies and advice. Since the block is brand new I am excited at the prospect that it can be fixed. I will keep you all updated on the repair.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: I hope this can be fixed but probably not: - 01/06/18 05:38 PM

Talk to your welder about tig brazing with aluminum bronze filler rod.
Posted By: BradD

Re: I hope this can be fixed but probably not: - 02/12/18 10:14 PM

We have a Silicon Bronze mig welder in the body shop. I believe that would work after V-ing out the sides. may try that first at a local collision shop.

Brad
Posted By: Dragula

Re: I hope this can be fixed but probably not: - 02/13/18 03:29 AM

You are 3 hours from our shop here near Lockport NY and 2 hours or less away from Bob George Racing in Eighty Four Pa...Yes, it can be fixed, good as new. Don't loose the piece that broke off.

Re: I hope this can be fixed but probably not: - 02/13/18 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By Dragula
You are 3 hours from our shop here near Lockport NY and 2 hours or less away from Bob George Racing in Eighty Four Pa...Yes, it can be fixed, good as new. Don't loose the piece that broke off.

I still have the piece. Any Idea of cost to fix? Curious is all.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: I hope this can be fixed but probably not: - 02/13/18 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By hudsonhornet7x
Originally Posted By Dragula

I still have the piece. Any Idea of cost to fix? Curious is all.

Maybe $200 or a little less...Its more labor to get the block up to temp...
© 2024 Moparts Forums