Moparts

What would be a better combination?

Posted By: hupmobile1920

What would be a better combination? - 11/29/17 04:54 PM

For a while I have wanted a Gen III in my super bee.

I have gone round and round about what type of Gen III do I want to build.

With the advent of the Hellcat crate motors I feel that it would be a very " me too" thing to build.

I also like the Drag Pak type motors with the awesome sound.

What would you folks build if you could? Starting from a blank slate here so I can go in either direction.

Thanks for any advice
Posted By: BlakDak71

Re: What would be a better combination? - 11/29/17 05:04 PM

Drag Pak style engines carry a lot of specific parts unless I'm mistaken, along with different valve train geometry. Hellcat or other production based engine would be "me too" because that's what everybody uses because parts are readily available and cheaper.
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: What would be a better combination? - 11/29/17 05:45 PM

Tough choice, an option your not thinking of, but might be better is a old school 8-71 on top of the G3, unless your dead set about keeping it under the hood or some from of scoop.
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: What would be a better combination? - 11/29/17 07:25 PM

What are you using your car for? All out Drag Pack engines will put out comparable (probably more) hp than a stock hellcat but are nowhere near as street friendly (plus a hellcat is a pulley change away from glorious hp gains). They need gear and converter to work properly. A hellcat will be much more tractable and run better/faster with a combo that’s not optimum. It’s like comparing a 750hp 572 vs a 750 hp 360, both will be similarly fast with optimum set ups but waiver off the optimum and the 572 will stomp the 360 and won’t be such a nervous engine
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: What would be a better combination? - 11/29/17 08:28 PM

I would do a supercharged Drag Pak type engine with Whipple & new aluminum block.
Posted By: MattW

Re: What would be a better combination? - 12/01/17 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By WO23Coronet
What are you using your car for? All out Drag Pack engines will put out comparable (probably more) hp than a stock hellcat but are nowhere near as street friendly (plus a hellcat is a pulley change away from glorious hp gains). They need gear and converter to work properly. A hellcat will be much more tractable and run better/faster with a combo that’s not optimum. It’s like comparing a 750hp 572 vs a 750 hp 360, both will be similarly fast with optimum set ups but waiver off the optimum and the 572 will stomp the 360 and won’t be such a nervous engine

iagree

Hellcat all the way!
© 2024 Moparts Forums