Moparts

Second thoughts on my hemi

Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/05/17 05:12 PM

Lately I have been thinking of selling all my gen III stuff and going back to a big block. I just can't get over the sound that a large cammed, high compression big block will give.

Have any of you had second thoughts?
Posted By: biff426

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/05/17 05:29 PM

I have a 6.1 426 stroker in my 66 Coronet it has been together for 2 years now and the only second thought I have is why didn't I do it earlier!!!! I am doing another one for a 65 Coronet I have. I was going to do a Gen 2 Hemi but it just is not worth the BS and starting from scratch a 700HP gen 3 is less money then a 700HP gen 2 and lighter. Let me know what you are selling I might be interested. Unless you are racing a class like Nostalgia Super Stock I would do a gen 3 I do like Nostalgia Super Stock but just can't justify a big block and the BS BTW everyone that hears my car coming and even after I pop the hood thinks it is a gen 2 hemi till they look closer. I am completely happy with the sound and performance.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/05/17 07:16 PM

My car doesnt sound like a small block. 3.5 exhaust with split flow mufflers
Posted By: L4staero

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/05/17 07:26 PM

I think you should sell everything......particularly those valve covers to me
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/05/17 07:43 PM

Actually , I was thinking the opposite. I wished I did a boosted Gen3 instead of a big block stroker.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/06/17 12:30 AM

I'm with the crowd here. Why would you want to start throwing money into an engine that required at least $1400 just for rocker arms and shafts? One that every piece of the engine is expensive simply because it carries the name "Hemi".

Well maybe you should go for it, but only if you have money to burn and don't mind an extra 200lb of engine hanging over the front wheels.

The only reason GII Hemis went into passenger cars was to homologate them for the various race sanctioning bodies. And the only reason the Hemi was cobbled together in the first place was because the guys racing Dodges and Plymouths were having their asses handed to them each weekend.

R.

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/06/17 02:35 AM

Never said anything about a gen 2 hemi. I said big block.
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/06/17 02:58 AM

Hudson as I recall this is/was a auto shop project. I think most young people could relate to the gen3 more and learn something they can use in the future.

What is the finished goal/use of the car?

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/06/17 03:18 AM

Yep it is a shop project. I don't always refer to it as it takes a lot of extra typing lol. Believe it or not most of my students like the gen III but also like the traditional big block. I was just thinking out loud today and wanted to know what you folks thought. We will be staying with the Gen III, that is if we can ever get all the parts we need lol!
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/06/17 01:08 PM

as much as I love my Big Block trucks, I'm really digging these G3s. I know what I can do with a 572in BB, I want to see what I can do with a 426 in G3, I like 7500 RPMs with mostly stock valve gear, I don't like 7500 rpms with after market every thing. I do like twin 830 holleys on Weiend Tunnel ram, I'm not to keen on TBs and lots of "Tuning" Both have their positives, but one thing is for sure they both have great bones to start with.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/06/17 07:16 PM

Put a 108 or 110 cam in the Gen III and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. My car fires up and children cry and Chevy boys become children.
Posted By: 1980volare

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/07/17 02:18 AM

I'm in the same boat, ive got some pretty good deals on gen 3 stuff so I pulled the trigger.

I feel as if I've done everything possible with a stock block SB without spending a bunch more money on better heads etc. my current SB needs gone through this winter, and by the time I re ring and bearing it, and do some upgrades that I'd want to do, I could almost put this hemi together. Its bittersweet as I feel I've got some unfinished business with the SB stuff, but I'll turn it up now and donate it to science and see what a stock block will really take.

Just from handling the hemi blocks, I can tell you it's a way better platform. I think there is a lot of power potential with them. I can't wait to get mine back from the machine shop.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/10/17 04:27 AM

Well if anyone has a 6.1 block I am game.

I have a G2 hemi for sale if interested. And I might be re-listing my rebuilt 512 RB short block. Just freshened it. No cam in it. Both are pump gas.
Posted By: mrploww

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/10/17 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By 72Swinger
Put a 108 or 110 cam in the Gen III and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. My car fires up and children cry and Chevy boys become children.

Tell us more about this cam. Do you have any videos? I want my 6.1 to sound like an old muscle car when I get it done.
Thanks!

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/10/17 03:07 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlcW2cQ12H4

Not mine,

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/10/17 03:11 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkzys9TSlJ0

Mild Howards cam

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/10/17 03:15 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT2I77vI6C4

Inspires me at least one a week.

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/10/17 03:22 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZWs9qRvO1U

Last one for today I have to get to work
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/10/17 04:16 PM

If you have the majority of the parts for this project, I would stick with it. These parts are not an easy sale unless you are willing to give them away. I have a Hellcat block I have been trying to sell for quite a while on here and other forums. Not one taker.

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/10/17 08:16 PM

Your going to have an easier time finishing the project than selling the parts.

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/10/17 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By fbs63
I have a Hellcat block I have been trying to sell for quite a while on here and other forums. Not one taker.

Yesterday I traded a 05 hemi short block for a hellcat block. No rhyme or reason as to what people will buy

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/10/17 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By mrploww
Originally Posted By 72Swinger

Tell us more about this cam. Do you have any videos? I want my 6.1 to sound like an old muscle car when I get it done.
Thanks!
With stock pistons you can get the sound but at the expense of power. An SRTMax cam is pretty much it IIRC with stock pistons.

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/10/17 11:42 PM

This is with a 117lsa, mine is 114 and doesnt sound as nasty as this but mine idles best at 900 rpm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojnNWlEgJfM
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Second thoughts on my hemi - 09/11/17 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By ric3xrt
Originally Posted By fbs63
I have a Hellcat block I have been trying to sell for quite a while on here and other forums. Not one taker.

Yesterday I traded a 05 hemi short block for a hellcat block. No rhyme or reason as to what people will buy

Everyone is scared of the VVT for no good reason. If someone pops up with one close by for reasonable it will be at my place.
© 2024 Moparts Forums