Moparts

can 5.7 and 6.1 front acc. locations be changed on all hemis

Posted By: Mopar Ron

can 5.7 and 6.1 front acc. locations be changed on all hemis - 09/05/16 07:33 PM

I am looking towards a future project .
installing a 5.7-6.1 into a street rod and wondered if the front accessory brackets are interchangeable between all the engines.
I would like to put the air and alt up high on the engine as to avoid clearance problems with the frame and steering shaft

here are a few pics of different configurations

I would think that are all compatible but you never know...

more like these top 2.
things are pretty tight to the engine

the bottom picture looks like I might have
clearance issues with hood side panels or frame...

Attached picture Screen shot 2016-09-05 at 9.05.36 AM.png
Attached picture Screen shot 2016-09-05 at 9.07.26 AM.png
Attached picture Screen shot 2016-09-05 at 8.46.51 AM.png
Posted By: MattW

Re: can 5.7 and 6.1 front acc. locations be changed on all hemis - 09/05/16 07:57 PM

1st and second are off a truck third is off a car.
Both timing covers are interchangeable.
Matt
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: can 5.7 and 6.1 front acc. locations be changed on all hemis - 09/05/16 08:10 PM

Timing covers are interchangeable but car cover accessories are -not- compatible with truck cover accessories.

Re: can 5.7 and 6.1 front acc. locations be changed on all hemis - 09/05/16 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda
Timing covers are interchangeable but car cover accessories are -not- compatible with truck cover accessories.

eek well that sucks.
so if I buy a 6.1 from a car and want to move the
alt and air up(if they interfere with the frame) I will need to get a truck timing cover and air
unit and a different alt? mad down
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: can 5.7 and 6.1 front acc. locations be changed on all hemis - 09/05/16 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By Mopar Ron

eek well that sucks.
alt and air up(if they interfere with the frame) I will need to get a truck timing cover and air

Yessir, that's correct. I bought a truck motor and wanted a car cover, been there, done that. Also, the truck timing cover will likely not allow for a car [front] throttle body location, you may be limited to the truck [top] throttle body location which may or may not be what you're looking for.

For what it's worth, I have a truck timing cover, non-eagle 5.7L truck intake manifold and a truck a/c compressor I will not be using. The intake port size will be smaller on the 5.7L intake when compared to the 6.1L head, you would likely want to hunt for an Eagle truck intake [2009+] to better match up with the 6.1L port size.
Posted By: rumblebee4232

Re: can 5.7 and 6.1 front acc. locations be changed on all hemis - 09/05/16 08:58 PM

eek well that sucks.

And a different intake the 6.1 throttlebody wants the same space taken up by the Alternator and A/C compressor.. Also with the truck front cover you need the truck harmonic balancer as everything sticks out further..
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: can 5.7 and 6.1 front acc. locations be changed on all hemis - 09/05/16 09:02 PM

I prefer the "make the car stuff work" method. Truck intakes are very unattractive anyway. The car acc setup is CLEAN.

Re: can 5.7 and 6.1 front acc. locations be changed on all hemis - 09/05/16 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By rumblebee4232

eek well that sucks.

And a different intake the 6.1 throttlebody wants the same space taken up by the Alternator and A/C compressor..

runaway frown panic

Oh well I'll have to see how much room I have when I get a engine and see how it fits..
Thanks guys!!!!! thumbs up
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: can 5.7 and 6.1 front acc. locations be changed on all hemis - 09/07/16 02:46 PM

Forabodys only early a section search Tincup s thread he did a great writeup on a car 6.1 to early a and how to clearance for car alt locations etc
Posted By: AZ_A12_BEE

Re: can 5.7 and 6.1 front acc. locations be changed on all hemis - 09/16/16 05:15 AM

eek well that sucks.

Yessir, that's correct. I bought a truck motor and wanted a car cover, been there, done that. Also, the truck timing cover will likely not allow for a car [front] throttle body location, you may be limited to the truck [top] throttle body location which may or may not be what you're looking for.

For what it's worth, I have a truck timing cover, non-eagle 5.7L truck intake manifold and a truck a/c compressor I will not be using. The intake port size will be smaller on the 5.7L intake when compared to the 6.1L head, you would likely want to hunt for an Eagle truck intake [2009+] to better match up with the 6.1L port size.

Goody, pm me if you want to get rid of that truck cover and accessories
© 2024 Moparts Forums