Moparts

Viking Shocks

Posted By: MarkZ

Viking Shocks - 08/07/23 04:41 PM

Not much in the way of aftermarket shocks for FMJ cars. I had a pair of Bilstein shocks on the front and believed them to be the best I could get without modifying the lower control arms to accept GM F body shocks. Found Viking had a part number for Diplomats so I rolled the dice. $230 a piece for double adjustable (19 positions), aluminum bodied shocks. Made to order. I had them in under two weeks. Installed and set them to the top end of the recommended settings for comfort. Absolutely blown away with the way the car drives now.

Front end has 245-40-18 Nitto 555 tires. Aluminum k isolators and 300# torsion bars. Handles amazingly well, road like complete [censored]. Was about to go back down to 15" tires. Not anymore. Car handles the bumps in the road like a modern vehicle. I ran the adjustments up a couple notches and it runs corners better than the Bilsteins still while gliding over garbage Michigan roads.

Pricey, but I got exactly what I paid for. Getting a set of rears now to match.

Attached picture PXL_20230730_173755683.jpg
Attached picture PXL_20230722_205621097.jpg
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Viking Shocks - 08/07/23 06:25 PM

I've replaced my red Koni Ds with Vikings (Biserker models)... very pleased with them.. especially the ease of quick adjustments by simply turning the knobs (Konis require, at least, partial removal and twisting them). I loved my Konis... but the new generation of double-adjustable shocks -- Viking, QA1, etc) have revolutionized shocks/dampers for those people interested in having more tunable rides. Of course, tire sizes, tire psi, suspension set-ups, etc... all further contribute to ride quality.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Viking Shocks - 08/11/23 12:54 AM

Ummm. I may get them for my '89 M. I have KYB's right now and they're okay but I'd like something better. Thanks for info.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Viking Shocks - 08/11/23 07:09 PM

I bought the Crusaders for the back of my car and it was amazing how well it rode with the settings set at 5c and 5r as I recall! Rides like a Cadillac!
Posted By: CSK

Re: Viking Shocks - 08/11/23 11:55 PM

Got my Viking DA shocks for $169.00 each from Reilly Motorsports
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Viking Shocks - 08/25/23 04:46 AM

Mark, that is cool. I have never tried those shocks, always thought they might be snake oil. I know the Koni shocks work well with certain tires and torsion bars so that has been my go to combo but I might consider the Vikings in the future.

How are those Wilwood brakes working for you?

Re: Viking Shocks - 08/25/23 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
Mark, that is cool. I have never tried those shocks, always thought they might be snake oil. I know the Koni shocks work well with certain tires and torsion bars so that has been my go to combo but I might consider the Vikings in the future.

How are those Wilwood brakes working for you?

I didn't think much of them either until I saw an install using them. I know the Koni shocks are nice, but I think they require partial disassembly to adjust them. At least the old ones that they made for F/J/M did. I've been playing around with these just pulling into a parking lot and adjusting the knobs. Should have put these in years ago.

Honestly they're great. Trouble free. Car stops better and the added benefit of how that hold the pads in place. I could never get the factory sliders quiet for long. The rubber band would always wear and the tangs on the pads would always separate. Pad chatter going over bumps was very annoying. These are nice and quiet.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Viking Shocks - 09/24/23 11:06 PM

Hey Mark, did you buy the Viking Shocks directly from manufacturer or something like Summit/Jegs?

Wondering where my best deal is.

Thanks,

Larry

P.S. I use to get pad chatter too but ended up bending the ears on pads for more interference fit and that stopped it.

Re: Viking Shocks - 09/25/23 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Hey Mark, did you buy the Viking Shocks directly from manufacturer or something like Summit/Jegs?

Thanks,

Larry

P.S. I use to get pad chatter too but ended up bending the ears on pads for more interference fit and that stopped it.

I looked at Summit and Jeg's first. They don't sell them. I bought them directly from Viking.

The ear on pads always parted after a while and would go right back to making noise for me. Glad it's working for you at least.
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Viking Shocks - 10/02/23 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360

Thanks,

Larry

If you know the part number, send it to me and I'll ask my friend if they can order them and how much it would cost.
© 2024 Moparts Forums