Moparts

Front tire size recommendations, manual steering

Posted By: moparmatt383

Front tire size recommendations, manual steering - 09/27/22 12:47 AM

I was wondering what a good front tire size is for 73 340 e body with manual steering. I currently have 225/60/15s (15x7 wheel) and the car is real bear to steer at low speeds. I have a stock non fast ratio steering box along with the stock 2 spoke steering wheel. Would getting a narrower front tire then what I currently have help much? My car is pretty much used for nice weather daily driving and cruise nights so I don’t think I need anything very high performance here.

I guess I could start lifting weights, but I wanted to get some input on tire size. I’ve driven other manual steering Mopars, but they were mostly slant six darts and remember them being pretty easy to steer at low speeds.

I’d love to hear your opinions.

Matt
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Front tire size recommendations, manual steering - 09/27/22 06:46 PM

To reduce steering friction from the tires, you could simply increase the tire pressures up front... say... to about 36 psi... and see the difference.

A 70-series tire would be relatively narrow ... also reducing friction and keeping the path forward (vs. 60, 50, 40, 35, 30 series tires that favor cornering).

Furthermore, check your alignment. The more positive CASTER you have, the increased effort in steering response. A factory setting for your car is probably around +2 degrees (which is very little to begin with and not very desirable for handling, but better than any negative caster).
Posted By: steve70

Re: Front tire size recommendations, manual steering - 09/27/22 07:33 PM

I have 2 manual steering cars. My T/A has E-60-15 on the front and is significantly harder to steer than my E-70-14 Duster. Keep in mind that manual steering cars have different caster specs than power steering cars. Increasing front tire pressure will also help.

Attached picture alignspecs.jpg
Posted By: moparmatt383

Re: Front tire size recommendations, manual steering - 09/30/22 12:21 AM

Thank you for the detailed responses and for posting the chart. It certainly points me in the right direction.

Matt
© 2024 Moparts Forums