Moparts

RIP 66 Barracuda

Posted By: bigdad

RIP 66 Barracuda - 04/13/22 02:25 PM

Posted By: 68rrunner

Re: RIP 66 Barracuda - 04/13/22 05:22 PM

Bummer, sounded like it was WOT; wrong pedal or stuck throttle when he nailed it for the finish?

Re: RIP 66 Barracuda - 04/13/22 05:36 PM

video comments said :

He's a friend of one of the guys in a group I belong to. The accelerator pedal arm bend to the left, and got pinned under the brake pedal.....when he slammed on the brakes, it floored the car and basically caused the car to full throttle plow into the concrete barrier.

Posted By: Dart 500

Re: RIP 66 Barracuda - 04/13/22 07:19 PM

He wasnt the only one to wreck in that spot either https://youtu.be/wUhogRVzlIQ?t=286

Re: RIP 66 Barracuda - 04/14/22 01:17 AM

Posted By: BigDaddy440

Re: RIP 66 Barracuda - 04/14/22 06:07 AM

I hope no one was seriously injured including the driver.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: RIP 66 Barracuda - 04/14/22 06:27 PM

Very sad to see that car like that, I love those early cudas.

Looked like the whole time he was pushing it harder than the car was safely capable of. I knew the wreck was coming and first time watching it I saw about 10 times I thought for sure this is it!
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: RIP 66 Barracuda - 04/18/22 01:25 AM

Very sorry to see that, but glad to read that the owner is OK.

In my opinion, an entirely avoidable incident. If this was an SCCA region event, a track would never have been set up in a location like that. When we used to set up tracks, PLENTY of runoff area was mandatory. For obvious reasons. twocents
Posted By: 68rrunner

Re: RIP 66 Barracuda - 04/18/22 05:56 PM

As a former Goodguys Competitor and Street Machine Autocross winner;
yeah, these courses are not for the feint of heart, can be extremely dangerous considering what these cars are capable (and not capable) of doing. As a participant with a well sorted car with an accomplished driving background, I found these events nerve-wracking, but from a marketing prospective I get it. We identified early on that this was an eventuality that would happen and some of us even wanted to put in restrictions to slow the cars down. We were shot down and told to increase our event sponsorship amounts to have more influence. We packed up the cars and left.
BOTH crashes (A truck hit the SAME WALL IN THE SAME PLACE that weekend) were unfortune but a calculated risk in the name of putting on a show. This Barracuda was using a drag race oriented suspension system and was being overdriven beyond the operators talent level on an unprepared/untested surface. The result was inevitable.

Wasn't the first crash like this, won't be the last. The Pleasanton event was even worse. a TREE in the middle of the track, designed in as a feature/obstacle. Spectre lost a vehicle there. I never raced there again.

Speed Safe everyone.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: RIP 66 Barracuda - 04/19/22 07:50 PM

I agree 100% with Dyno Dave... PLENTY of run off area required!!!

Murphy's Law will come at the worst time.
Posted By: JP8

Re: RIP 66 Barracuda - 04/30/22 02:19 PM

The car is setting at Best of Show Coachworks in Escondido, CA. They are going to pull the frame and try to rebuild it. A fools errand if you as me.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: RIP 66 Barracuda - 04/30/22 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by JP8
The car is setting at Best of Show Coachworks in Escondido, CA. They are going to pull the frame and try to rebuild it. A fools errand if you as me.

I've always said that with enough time, money, and ambition, there is nothing that can't be done. I think this is going to take lots of all three but it's doable.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: RIP 66 Barracuda - 05/01/22 02:33 AM

Replacing the front stub is not as difficult as it may seem. I did this with my other '70 Charger in 2020. It actually fits well, the body gaps are good and the car tracks straight.

Attached picture Repair 49.jpg
Attached picture Repair 61.jpg
Attached picture Repair 63.jpg
Attached picture Repair 69.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums