Moparts

Leaf spring metal bushing sleeve

Posted By: hemienvy

Leaf spring metal bushing sleeve - 04/04/21 10:27 PM

When you put in urethane spring eye bushings, you need to remove the old rubber bushing and the outer metal sleeve.

Is there a trick to doing this ?

I think I just invented the least fun method possible, I just beat the holy ****************** out of it.

But there must be a better way ?

Attached picture LeafSleeve.jpg
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: Leaf spring metal bushing sleeve - 04/05/21 12:08 AM

I've used a press.

Mike.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Leaf spring metal bushing sleeve - 04/05/21 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by hemienvy
When you put in urethane spring eye bushings, you need to remove the old rubber bushing and the outer metal sleeve.

Is there a trick to doing this ?

I think I just invented the least fun method possible, I just beat the holy ****************** out of it.

But there must be a better way ?

Get a bigger hammer? eek grin
Posted By: CKessel

Re: Leaf spring metal bushing sleeve - 04/05/21 03:45 PM

Use a hot wrench on the inner sleeve. It will melt the rubber then you can push the sleeve and rubber out leaving the outer.
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: Leaf spring metal bushing sleeve - 04/05/21 11:50 PM

Long bolt with a large washer (that is smaller than the diameter of the bushing) on one side with a large socket on the other with a piece of flat stock and a nut. Tighten the nut and draw the bushing through into the socket. Not a very good description, but I used this setup to replace a set of spring bushings when doing a Cal-Track install.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Leaf spring metal bushing sleeve - 04/17/21 02:40 PM

PB blaster and a press has served me well in the past. You also can saw a groove in the sleeve to reduce tension and then push it out.
© 2024 Moparts Forums