Moparts

SS SPRINGS FOR THE TURNS

Posted By: A/MP

SS SPRINGS FOR THE TURNS - 09/16/20 03:25 PM

So my '65 Dart is moving from the drag strip to street driving and some road racing. The SB makes about 400 HP. I'll be putting a front and rear sway bars. Can I use the SS springs or do they need to be softened or remove a leaf, R or L or both sides?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: SS SPRINGS FOR THE TURNS - 09/16/20 04:18 PM

SS work okay for going around corners as long as you use a matched set. Back in the day people would use two left hand springs. That is what I have on my car but it is old school. These days I wouldn't bother with SS springs but you can use them if you want.
Posted By: jcc

Re: SS SPRINGS FOR THE TURNS - 09/17/20 11:25 AM

My first question, at rest, how much arch do the springs have or are they ideal rather flat, which is a better goal.

They likely have a resale value, and excessive oversteer from arched springs might make for neat video clips, but its not fast.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: SS SPRINGS FOR THE TURNS - 09/17/20 04:48 PM

I think Rick Ehrenberg ran de-arched SS springs on the Green Brick. work
Posted By: burdar

Re: SS SPRINGS FOR THE TURNS - 09/17/20 06:41 PM

MP has an "oval track" leaf spring that comes in 0 or 1" arch. They are listed at being 120 lbs/in springs. I've got a pair on the back of my 68 Dart right now. I haven't driven the car yet with them though. They have less leaves then the worn out stock hd springs I took out. Hotchkis A-body springs are listed as 130 lbs/in for reference.

Re: SS SPRINGS FOR THE TURNS - 09/18/20 01:21 AM

We tried several different rear springs on Tim's Valiant. In the end he stayed with his factory 340 springs. The Mopar oval track springs didn't work very well on the car and neither did the other springs that he tried. Some of it just comes down to what the driver is comfortable with.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: SS SPRINGS FOR THE TURNS - 09/18/20 03:53 PM

In their original form, the SS springs have too much arch, too much rate, and are biased side to side with unequal rates. Combine these with a rear sway bar and you will have a very tail happy car. On the plus side, the short front segment will work well at putting power down effectively.

Ultimately its all about balance. For handling, you want the car lower, not higher, so its a bit of the opposite approach of drag racing traction. However, regardless of if you use stock, SS, Oval Track, Hotchkis, etc, you want the rear rate to compliment the front rate. Mopars are very limited in what t-bars and s-bars are available for the front. The rear leafs, however, can more easily be dialed in with the variety of leafs and materials out there. I'd suggest you decide on the combination of torsion bars and sway bars you want for the front, then deconstruct the leafs to balance it out.

Mopars oval track springs are interesting creatures. As pointed out, they have fewer leafs than a regular pack, but the leafs are slightly thicker. They don't have as much front control bias as others springs, which makes sense since oval racing is more about being smooth than dumping a clutch. They have an odd length front segment which requires special hangers. When installed, zero arch springs actually appear to bend backwards, which will freak out a lot of owners.
Posted By: burdar

Re: SS SPRINGS FOR THE TURNS - 09/18/20 05:19 PM

It's been awhile since I bought them so I can't remember all the specs off the top of my head. I remember the front segment was a little different then stock A-body springs but it isn't much. IIRC it's only about 1/4" difference? I have them installed on my 68 right now while I wait to get into the paint shop. I've got a set of old Rallye's on it and they look fine in the wheelwell.

Re: SS SPRINGS FOR THE TURNS - 09/18/20 06:55 PM

I guess this means that the front /6 T bars need to go, A factory 340 or 318 leaf spring is acceptable?

Re: SS SPRINGS FOR THE TURNS - 09/18/20 06:57 PM

Is there any info if I start researching the Trans AM cars of the 70's?
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: SS SPRINGS FOR THE TURNS - 09/18/20 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by burdar
It's been awhile since I bought them so I can't remember all the specs off the top of my head. I remember the front segment was a little different then stock A-body springs but it isn't much. IIRC it's only about 1/4" difference? I have them installed on my 68 right now while I wait to get into the paint shop. I've got a set of old Rallye's on it and they look fine in the wheelwell.

Oval track springs front segment is 20.5", so half inch longer than A body/SS springs but shorter than B/E springs. The typical Mopar show fender tag number cruncher will probably notice something isn't quite right in the rear wheel well, but may not know what. In my Challenger I used the 2" longer SS hangers, so in combination with the oval track front segment, I have actually pushed the rear axle back half an inch from stock. I've had a couple people notice it and ask if I've relocated the axle.

Originally Posted by A/MP
I guess this means that the front /6 T bars need to go, A factory 340 or 318 leaf spring is acceptable?

Absolutely get rid of the slant 6 bars. Probably want something like .94, 1.0, or 1.06 depending on how big a sway bar and how aggressively you want to run corners. With those, add a 1.125" solid or 1.25: hollow bar and they may be a nice match for a set of 340 leafs.

Is there any info if I start researching the Trans AM cars of the 70's?

The first couple of years of the TA series had several '65 D Darts prepped specifically for road racing. In fact, the very first race in the series was won by the '65 Dart of Bob Tulius in the over 2 liter class. The Darts were competitive through 66 and into 67 before the Ford and Chevy pony cars began to dominate. I'd imagine you could dredge up some detailed info on them if you look.

Re: SS SPRINGS FOR THE TURNS - 09/18/20 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by burdar

I make hangers for the oval track springs. Very slow selling product! http://arengineering.com/home-page/spring-hangers/

Re: SS SPRINGS FOR THE TURNS - 09/18/20 10:56 PM

Umm, yeah. They have to go. Put big torsion bars up front and use a factory 340 rear leaf spring and you'll be fine. That is the combo that Tim ran and it worked really well.

Attached picture PIR.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums