Moparts

Rear sway bar with leaf springs moved in

Posted By: hemienvy

Rear sway bar with leaf springs moved in - 09/06/20 03:17 AM

This would be 1970 E body.
If you go with a 1-inch inboard spring relocation, can you then use a B body rear sway bar ?
Posted By: Jerry

Re: Rear sway bar with leaf springs moved in - 09/06/20 02:26 PM

following. i've got the same question.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Rear sway bar with leaf springs moved in - 09/06/20 02:39 PM

No, for several reasons. Frame rails are in different positions. Additionally, the only factory style rear sway bars in '70 earlier B body cars where you are sourcing that housing were police units, which are as rare as hens teeth and not reproduced anywhere. I'm not even sure if these police units mounted on the frame rails, for that matter.

A '71 and newer rear bar defeats the whole purpose of narrower as those housings were wider and mounted under the housing.

If you have a stock mount E body sway bar, you can create a 1" offset link or have the arms bent in to align with the OEM mount plates.

All aftermarket rear sway bars, except for Firm Feel's OEM bar, mount under the axle where it doesn't matter on exact axle width.
Posted By: gzig5

Re: Rear sway bar with leaf springs moved in - 09/06/20 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by TC@HP2

If you have a stock mount E body sway bar, you can create a 1" offset link or have the arms bent in to align with the OEM mount plates.

Attached picture offset link 1.JPG
Attached picture offset link 2.JPG
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Rear sway bar with leaf springs moved in - 09/06/20 03:26 PM

Just have a semi-custom sway bar built for the car.
Posted By: hemienvy

Re: Rear sway bar with leaf springs moved in - 09/07/20 06:38 PM

Hmmmmmmm.
Good info, thanks fellers.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Rear sway bar with leaf springs moved in - 09/07/20 06:55 PM

i have bent several bars cold, using nothing more than solid clamping and holding practices, plus a long piece of pipe.
they are not that hard to bend this way, but be very careful of anything slipping or coming unclamped.
beer
Posted By: burdar

Re: Rear sway bar with leaf springs moved in - 09/11/20 07:03 PM

I've seen it done 3 different ways.

1. Bend the ends of the bar in to line up with the perch mounts new location.
2. Custom offset end links to line up with the perch mounts new location.
3. Modify the perch mount to move the mounting point back out to the factory width.(stock end links can then be used)
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: Rear sway bar with leaf springs moved in - 09/23/20 04:16 PM

Remove the rear sway bar, you don't need it. The `Cuda handled much better at the track without one, more stable. Saves weight as well!
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Moparts Forums