Moparts

1974 charger T bars

Posted By: sparcy

1974 charger T bars - 03/11/20 07:34 PM

I have a 1974 charger SE came with 318 now has a big block . just looking for info. I used Schumacher mounts . is it 74 only or is it 62 to 74 B & E body like mopar performance book says,, correct with its a 41 inch bar ? I rebuilt the suspension completely its just seems very bouncy in the front . I even put polly isolaters in. I was just thinking a bigger bar stiffen it up a little. I have 96. in my 1969 charger . thanks
Posted By: jcc

Re: 1974 charger T bars - 03/12/20 10:49 AM

IMO, anything in this era mopar needs at the min 1" TB, and my experience says that is is even on the wimpy side. Shocks need to balanced to TB size , in that everything effects everything else. On the 74 only. never owned one, others can answer definitively. bump
Posted By: Jerry

Re: 1974 charger T bars - 03/12/20 12:06 PM

73+b bodies with the isolated k frame and trans cross member have longer torsion bars than the 71-72 models.
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: 1974 charger T bars - 03/12/20 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by sparcy
I have a 1974 charger SE came with 318 now has a big block....I rebuilt the suspension completely its just seems very bouncy in the front. I even put poly isolaters in.

Originally Posted by jcc
IMO, anything in this era mopar needs at the min 1" TB...Shocks need to balanced to TB size

iagree From everything I've read, bigger is better in this department, within reason. And quality shocks are a must.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: 1974 charger T bars - 03/12/20 06:02 PM

Don't be afraid of larger diameter TBs.... every incremental step you make in size will be noticable... but I'd start at around 1.10 or 1.12... and consider slightly siffening up the leafs... as well as getting better shocks... double-adjustables bet bet for tuning your ride/comfort.

I've tried many different sizes... the small sizes (~1.00) are not even worth the time/expense. I love my 1.24 (largest that will fit through the hex of 1.25). Firm Feel has a wide selection and in the correct lengths per body.

Re: 1974 charger T bars - 03/12/20 08:49 PM

this is from the sway away website...

MOPAR Torsion Bars
A, B & E Body – 1962-1976
Sway-A-Way’s high-performance torsion bars designed for MOPAR A,B, and E body vehicles. Engineered to provide a substantial increase in stiffness, Sway-A-Way’s MOPAR torsion bars will dramatically improve your vehicle’s handling by reducing body roll, dive, squat, and increasing your overall vehicle control. All torsion bars are clocked to allow for factory ride height within the adjustment range of the factory adjuster. Included with all Sway-A-Way MOPAR torsion bars are two polyurethane bushings and two circlip retaining rings.
Whether you’re looking to stiffen up your daily driver, build a dedicated track car or anywhere in-between, Sway-A-Way offers sizes ranging from .96” to 1.24”, allowing you to source the correct bar for your application.
Here is a chart showing relative spring rates of the different bar lengths and diameters.
DODGE SPRING RATES
Posted By: Sniper

Re: 1974 charger T bars - 03/12/20 09:30 PM

Sway away is seriously confused about applications and model years.

https://swayaway.com/product-category/torsion-bars/tb-dodge/
Posted By: jcc

Re: 1974 charger T bars - 03/12/20 09:55 PM

iagree

They are reputable, but rather new to the Mopar set-up.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: 1974 charger T bars - 03/17/20 05:59 PM

Good to see their choices in Mopar TBs... I wonder if they had previous involvement with California Suspension/Moparts (ahead of the times in the 1980s)?
Posted By: TB3CUDA

Re: 1974 charger T bars - 03/18/20 11:31 PM

the op had a wanted add for a set of 74 big block bars,i pm him havent heard anything back?

Re: 1974 charger T bars - 03/19/20 12:28 AM

how big are the factory big block bars? i'd think about upgrading to something in the 1.125 range.
© 2024 Moparts Forums