Moparts

Swapping Knuckles Side to Side

Posted By: 67Satty

Swapping Knuckles Side to Side - 11/19/19 07:10 PM

When using a factory E Body front-mounted caliper disc brake setup (knuckles, rotors, and calipers) to convert a '69 and earlier B Body to disc brakes with a rear-mounted caliper setup, can you just swap the knuckles side to side to get the calipers in the correct orientation? Thanks!
Posted By: burdar

Re: Swapping Knuckles Side to Side - 11/19/19 09:46 PM

Spindles can be swapped side to side. You have to swap the lower ball joints so the tie rod end is facing the correct way. You will probably also have to come up with a different brake hose.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Swapping Knuckles Side to Side - 11/20/19 11:56 PM

Knuckles swap but calipers don't. You'll need calipers that are designed to be rear hung. Doctor Diff can get you what you need. He has the correct calipers and hoses.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Swapping Knuckles Side to Side - 11/21/19 02:53 PM

Care to share what your thinking on the need for swapping?
Posted By: moparx

Re: Swapping Knuckles Side to Side - 11/23/19 03:59 PM

why would you be swapping ball joints side to side ?
beer
Posted By: burdar

Re: Swapping Knuckles Side to Side - 11/25/19 02:16 PM

You have to swap the lower ball joints so the tie rod end is facing the correct way.

why would you be swapping ball joints side to side ?

What I meant is that you can't just undo the upper and lower ball joints and move the entire assembly over to the other side. You have to separate the LBJ from the spindles so the LBJ stays on the correct side.

Re: Swapping Knuckles Side to Side - 11/25/19 03:23 PM

i get it now.
i misunderstood. sorry.
beer
Posted By: geo.

Re: Swapping Knuckles Side to Side - 12/13/19 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by burdar
Spindles can be swapped side to side. You have to swap the lower ball joints so the tie rod end is facing the correct way. You will probably also have to come up with a different brake hose.

Did this on my brothers Charger 'cause the sway bar on -'69 cars hits the front mounted calipers.
Used '72 knuckles, rotors, and calipers.. Had to get a much longer hose and tie wrap it to keep it from rubbing.
Make sure nothing rubs thru range of steering and suspension travel.
Posted By: Jjs72D

Re: Swapping Knuckles Side to Side - 12/13/19 03:51 AM

I thought I read somewhere that a '69 Camaro used a 15" brake hose with front discs.

Re: Swapping Knuckles Side to Side - 12/13/19 04:11 PM

i believe that to be correct.
possibly the one DrDiff uses in his kit ?
beer

Re: Swapping Knuckles Side to Side - 12/14/19 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by geo.
Originally Posted by burdar

Did this on my brothers Charger 'cause the sway bar on -'69 cars hits the front mounted calipers.
Used '72 knuckles, rotors, and calipers.. Had to get a much longer hose and tie wrap it to keep it from rubbing.
Make sure nothing rubs thru range of steering and suspension travel.

Yes that happens if you use the wrong caliper. When you rear mount the calipers you should use a caliper that is designed to be rear mounted. The correct caliper will have the bleeder at the top and the hose coming out the bottom. Then you use a fairly short hose that loops down and back up to the hard line on the frame.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Swapping Knuckles Side to Side - 12/14/19 05:16 PM

I had slider calipers produced with 2 bleeder valves so they can be mounted toward the front or toward the rear and still yield ideal hose routing. See below:

https://www.doctordiff.com/73-89-slider-calipers.html

Re: Swapping Knuckles Side to Side - 12/15/19 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by DoctorDiff
I had slider calipers produced with 2 bleeder valves so they can be mounted toward the front or toward the rear and still yield ideal hose routing. See below:

https://www.doctordiff.com/73-89-slider-calipers.html

That is a good idea. I knew you carried calipers but I didn't realize that you had added the second bleeder screw. Great idea to make the calipers more universal.
Posted By: Jjs72D

Re: Swapping Knuckles Side to Side - 12/15/19 06:42 PM

I'll bet that the same thing could be done by someone. Drill and tap the caliper then slip in a standard size bleeder screw. Great idea.
© 2024 Moparts Forums