Moparts

295 front tire on the 73 Challenger build!

Posted By: RylisPro

295 front tire on the 73 Challenger build! - 09/24/19 12:31 AM

Be sure to check out our video on the 73 Challenger build out now on YouTube!

We stuffed a 295/35R-18 front tire on the Rylis Productions 73 Challenger! There is absolutely zero fender rub on stock fenders. There is plenty of lateral clearance which means the same 315's on the `Cuda will easily fit any 70-74 Challenger's front wheel wells when the fender lips are folded up.

We've said it time and again, any E-body not running a wide 300+ mm tire up front is missing out as big meaty tires always look mean!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: 295 front tire on the 73 Challenger build! - 09/24/19 11:24 AM

Nice! up

I mostly rub mostly due to height on my car, 255/50/17 up front, but I like the look
Posted By: gzig5

Re: 295 front tire on the 73 Challenger build! - 09/24/19 01:49 PM

That 295/35-18 is 26" in diameter and your 255/50-17 is 27" so there's a pretty good difference there. I'm running 255/60-15 on the front which are also 27" and I've caught the front edge of the fender when the edge was tweaked, but it's OK everywhere else.

I've got some frame work to do and once the B-body rear is in I'll be looking at wheels and tires. Shooting for at least 305's square or a little bigger out back, but I need to see how much I can fit with the standard B spring location.

That Challenger should be fun with a Hemi in it. Wish I had the extra space to keep and work on dedicated track car.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: 295 front tire on the 73 Challenger build! - 09/24/19 02:18 PM

Snazzy, but did you cycle it up and down?

Re: 295 front tire on the 73 Challenger build! - 09/24/19 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by TC@HP2
Snazzy, but did you cycle it up and down?

Haven't cycled it yet as the engine does not run and the car doesn't have brakes. The upper A-arms still need to be replaced with Hotchkis arms and the Dr. Diff brake kit isn't here yet. 295's are just a mock-up as 315's all around is the goal.

We've been through this with the `Cuda before so no major surprises.

Thanks!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: 295 front tire on the 73 Challenger build! - 09/24/19 06:08 PM

Nice video and good luck with the project!

From my own experience, the major issue to fit any good size wide tire within the wheel wells is the rim.. the backspacing (or offset)...

Also, it appears top me that the body of your car still needs a lot of lowering to be done.

I had found the front fenders/wheel wells would accommodate tires/rims better than the rear fenders/wheel wells.

Flushing the lips is something all e-bodies can benefit from for safer tire clearance.

Re: 295 front tire on the 73 Challenger build! - 09/24/19 08:44 PM

Thanks Mitch!

Absolutely nothing has been done to the car. We definitely need to lower the car down but that will have to be done at a later date. First priority is to get the fenders squared away to install the front valance and get a front spoiler built. Form there, the body will get gutted and stripped to bare metal to fix all the issues. Then stitch weld the chassis and install the rollcage, fit the Gen 3 Hemi & T56 Magnum, etc...

Much work to be done!
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Moparts Forums