Moparts

Swaybar choices for Barracuda

Posted By: Lee446

Swaybar choices for Barracuda - 07/15/19 04:06 PM

I am back again! The wifes 70 Barracuda is on the road, gen 2 alum headed hemi. This car started life as a 318 Barracuda and did not come with a swaybar. I put in 1.05 torsion bars along with KYB shocks. I have decided that a swaybar will round out the improvements to make this a nice safe cruiser. I had ordered a Hellwig 1-1/4" hollow bar, but got put on back order. I was wondering what would be a better choice, several makers have a 1-1/8 solid bar, or should I go with the 1-1/4 Hellwig? What would be the best choice? Going up 1/8" in the Hellwig seems like a big move, would this be too much bar for a non-autocrosser? Ride quality, if applicable, is important. Any advice appreciated.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Swaybar choices for Barracuda - 07/15/19 06:48 PM

I have a new Hotchkis front sway bar that I'm not going to use. I'm planning on taking it to the next swap meet but if you want it I could box it up and ship it. Shipping will be expensive though.

https://www.hotchkis.net/product/fr...-suspension/?mk=&yr=&md=&sm=

Re: Swaybar choices for Barracuda - 07/15/19 10:32 PM

Andy, I appreciate it, but I can get a Hellwig or Addco w/free shipping for $200. That Hotchkiss is almost twice that, and for my needs, the cheaper brands will do. I also have your book, but it got packed up with the rest of my library, for a coming soon move, and I don't know which box it is in(I have LOTS of books!). I still could use some advice on what diameter would be best, and besides weight savings, is there any real advantage to the hollow bars?
Posted By: Jerry

Re: Swaybar choices for Barracuda - 07/15/19 11:40 PM

the weight savings is key to the hollow bars. an 1 1/4 steel bar gets really heavy on the very front of the car, especially when trying to get 50/50 balance
Posted By: Fishstix

Re: Swaybar choices for Barracuda - 07/16/19 01:58 AM

I did the Hellwig bars front and rear. Happy with the results.

Re: Swaybar choices for Barracuda - 07/16/19 02:22 AM

Fishstix, what size bars did you use?
Posted By: Fishstix

Re: Swaybar choices for Barracuda - 07/16/19 04:27 AM

1 1/4(55904) and 7/8(6908) front, again, big improvement. Oddly enough, the front came without one poly bushing, was offered one, but didn't want to wait on shipping and bought one local.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Swaybar choices for Barracuda - 07/16/19 03:44 PM

Keep in mind that a 1.25" hollow bar will have a rate similar to a 1.125" solid bar. The difference in wall thickness of the hollow bar is why they have to go to larger diameter to maintain rates vs the solid bar. A 1.25" solid bar produces more rate than a 1.25" hollow bar.

If you not concerned about a slight weight penalty or achieving ultimate performance, than go with a simple, and less expensive, 1.125" solid unit that is widely available for reasonable cost.

Re: Swaybar choices for Barracuda - 07/16/19 06:17 PM

I can get the Hellwig hollow for the same price as the solid 1-1/8 bars, so that is what I will go with. Thanks for all the help!
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Swaybar choices for Barracuda - 07/17/19 10:58 PM

I used the Hellwig 1 1/4 tube type anti-sway bar on my Duster. Those are excellent bars and you'll be happy with it. If the car has no bar on it right now then it will be a very dramatic difference.

I built my own anti-sway bar from 1 1/4 chrome moly tubing 30 years ago for my Coronet. Back in those days nobody sold tubular anti-sway bars so I was the king of jungle. Sadly, everyone else caught up to me and I haven't moved the car forward much since then.

Re: Swaybar choices for Barracuda - 07/23/19 03:02 PM

Fedex delivered my Bar yesterday evening and I went out into the shop to install it. It took me about 1-1/2 hours from start to finish, pretty easy. I got up this morning to take her for a ride, and man, what a difference! When I got the car, it wallowed just making a right turn from a dead stop. After rebuilding the front suspension, new, bigger torsion bars and KYB shocks, it was a big improvement, but it still had a bit more body lean than I liked. Adding the Hellwig 1-1/4 bar took care of that, it corners very flat, it is like driving a new car! Best $200 I have spent in a while. I just need to make sure I don't get into trouble while learning my new limits!
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Swaybar choices for Barracuda - 07/23/19 06:08 PM

Oh what a feeling! Happy for you!
Posted By: dangina

Re: Swaybar choices for Barracuda - 07/26/19 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Lee446
F Best $200 I have spent in a while.

hate to be that guy but:
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16960

and on holidays they stack thier discounts...I bought both front and rear from this place for under $280

Re: Swaybar choices for Barracuda - 07/26/19 02:48 PM

I tried ordering from them and they said 4-8 weeks delivery from the manufacturer! I got mine in 4 days.
© 2024 Moparts Forums