Moparts

Torsion Bars

Posted By: 70charger512

Torsion Bars - 11/16/18 06:47 AM

When it comes to torsion bars and drag racing, can they be too stiff? I know if they are stiff they will affect weight transfer, but when I say too stiff I mean is it possible for them to break under a hard launch? I plan on getting the .96 bars (daily driver that will see the strip), but after reading a few forums I am now wondering if this could cause any problems.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Torsion Bars - 11/16/18 12:01 PM

You're doing something really special if you can break torsion bars, leaf springs, or coil springs.

0.96" bars are somewhat on the smaller side compared to what many cars within this forum run. Most are >1" for handling performance.
Posted By: 70charger512

Re: Torsion Bars - 11/16/18 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda
You're doing something really special if you can break torsion bars, leaf springs, or coil springs.

0.96" bars are somewhat on the smaller side compared to what many cars within this forum run. Most are >1" for handling performance.

Ok, thank you, I was just worried that under a hard launch if they are too stiff I could end up screwing something up.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Torsion Bars - 11/16/18 04:10 PM

Generally, drag racers go the opposite direction for torsion bars than we do in this forum. This forum is for handling, drag racing is not about handling so the goals are somewhat mutually exclusive.

Skinny front tires, no sway bars, /6 torsion bars and 90/10 shocks are the norm for low buck drag racing front suspension. No one in this forum is going to suggest that is even in the same county as a good package for handling.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Torsion Bars - 11/16/18 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By Nick Stevanovski

Ok, thank you, I was just worried that under a hard launch if t

hey are too stiff I could end up screwing something up.

Maybe if you stand the car on and off the rear bumper every gear shift, you might develop an issue some day. But it still won't be the torsion bar itself.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Torsion Bars - 11/16/18 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By Nick Stevanovski

Ok, thank you, I was just worried that under a hard launch if they are too stiff I could end up screwing something up.

No. You would break other components in the suspension before you snap a t-bar, provided, the bars are in good, undamaged condition.

A side effect of a larger torsion bar with a street suspension set up in a drag race application is that it is very repeatable. The primary requirement of a bracket racing car ahead of speed and horsepower.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Torsion Bars - 11/16/18 11:53 PM

Nobody is going to break a big bar. The ones that break are the small bars. A heavy B body will almost break the race bars just sitting still. The tiny bars have to be twisted a lot just to support the weight of the car. A big bar only has to be twisted a small amount to support the same weight.

Big bars aren't used for drag racing since they kill the weight transfer and they put extra weight on the nose of the car. Small bars work great for drag racing but the high level of stress kills them fairly quickly.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Torsion Bars - 11/17/18 12:35 AM

I agree. I have the 1.15 bars in my car.

Attached picture A 3-2018 C.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums