Moparts

3" Rear Exiting Exhaust and Rear Sway Bar Fit E-body?

Posted By: challenger70

3" Rear Exiting Exhaust and Rear Sway Bar Fit E-body? - 09/28/18 05:01 PM

I am thinking about adding a rear sway bar to my '70 Challenger. It looks like it will be awfully tight, I assume the bar would have to go between the exhaust and the body/frame.

Has anyone added a rear bar with 3" (TTI) exhaust? Did you have to modify anything?

I am looking at the Firm feel setup, as I like the factory style setup. http://www.firmfeel.com/e_body_mopar_rear_sway_bar.html Pics would be great.
Posted By: gzig5

Re: 3" Rear Exiting Exhaust and Rear Sway Bar Fit E-body? - 09/28/18 05:59 PM

If you go on the TTI site there are footnotes that have pics showing what swaybars their stuff works with. Here is the direct link

http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Footnotes/FN_18.htm

http://www.ttiexhaust.com/MoparClassics-Exhaust/Exhaust_Syst_HW.htm

note says it won't work with the Firm Feel

Re: 3" Rear Exiting Exhaust and Rear Sway Bar Fit E-body? - 09/28/18 06:06 PM

Seems contradictory to me, is not the Firm feel setup almost identical to the factory setup?

"TTi tailpipes will clear the factory rear sway bars or equivalent style aftermarket designs."

"
(!) Tailpipes will not clear aftermarket sway bars that are mounted above and forward of the rear axle."
"Tailpipe will not clear the FFI swaybar."
Posted By: 70BigBlockSE

Re: 3" Rear Exiting Exhaust and Rear Sway Bar Fit E-body? - 09/29/18 09:44 PM

I have both the FFI 3/4" rear bar and TTI 3" exhaust on my 70 Challenger. But I'm working in Mississippi and my car is back in Jacksonville. I'll dig for some pictures but it was a non-issue
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: 3" Rear Exiting Exhaust and Rear Sway Bar Fit E-body? - 09/30/18 12:31 AM

I have no problem with TTI 3" and a Hotchkis sway bar.

Re: 3" Rear Exiting Exhaust and Rear Sway Bar Fit E-body? - 10/02/18 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By 70BigBlockSE
I have both the FFI 3/4" rear bar and TTI 3" exhaust on my 70 Challenger. But I'm working in Mississippi and my car is back in Jacksonville. I'll dig for some pictures but it was a non-issue

Awesome, thanks. I suppose even a little massaging of the exhaust wouldn't hurt too much that far back.

Re: 3" Rear Exiting Exhaust and Rear Sway Bar Fit E-body? - 10/02/18 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda
I have no problem with TTI 3" and a Hotchkis sway bar.

I think the Hotchkis hangs below the axle so it wouldn't have the same issue as a factory style setup, where you have the exhaust up and over the axle and the sway bar in that area too. The T/A exhaust makes a lot more sense now.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: 3" Rear Exiting Exhaust and Rear Sway Bar Fit E-body? - 10/02/18 08:57 PM

Hi Ron,

The T/A exhaust was only for appearance and cosmetics to replicate side exhaust (really was not a good factory design performance wise)... there were other factory model e-bodies that had the rear sway bar with the factory rear exhaust over the differential... however, those were smaller diameter exhaust tubes (~2.5"?)
Posted By: Bob J

Re: 3" Rear Exiting Exhaust and Rear Sway Bar Fit E-body? - 10/03/18 04:49 AM

I think that the pipes that went over the axle were 2 1/4" but 2 1/5 before the muffler.
Posted By: shawge

Re: 3" Rear Exiting Exhaust and Rear Sway Bar Fit E-body? - 10/06/18 08:35 PM

No issues w/ 3" TTI pipes and FF rear sway bar on a 70 Challenger. I have ~2" of room at the tightest spots.
© 2024 Moparts Forums